LII: Théoden King

Comincia dall'inizio

It took a brief moment for Háma to think, and he agreed to let the wizard pass. Gandalf winked, taking Legolas and Xena's hands as they entered the hall. The guards lifted the heavy bars of the doors and swung them slowly inwards grumbling on their great hinges. The travellers entered.

"My lord. Gandalf the Grey is coming. He is a herald of woe." the spy of Saruman whispered.

"The courtesy of your hall is somewhat lessened of late, Théoden King," Gandalf spoke as all five walked towards him. The King looked weary and old. Like dusty years and tired spells had fallen upon him. Guards followed Gandalf and the others.

"He is not welcome here," whispered Gríma again.

"Why should I welcome you, Gandalf Stormcrow?" The king asked with a blue tone in his voice.

"A just question my liege. Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear. Lathspell I name him. Ill news is an ill guest." Grima spoke as he stood up to face Gandalf.

Gandalf placed his cloak aside, he leaned no longer on Legolas and Xena, as he spoke in a clear cold voice."The wise speak only of what they know. A witless worm have you become. Therefore be silent, and keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a serving-man till the lightning falls!" Gandalf rose his staff. There was a roll of thunder.

"His staff! I told you to take the wizard's staff!" the spy of Saruman shouted.

Aragorn, Legolas, Xena and Gimli started battling with the guards, allowing Gandalf to walk to Théoden. The rest of the guards were stopped by Háma. Gimli knocked down Gríma and put a foot on his chest. Securing him down, so he couldn't run. "I would stay still if I were you," Gimli said seriously keeping him pinned against the ground.

"Théoden, Son of Théngel. Too long have you sat in the shadows. Harken to me! I release you from the spell." Gandalf said as he rose his staff.

Théoden laughed as his shady eyes were pinned against Gandalf "You have no power here Gandalf the Grey."

Gandalf abruptly off his grey robe, exposing his white clothing. Astonished, Théoden reclined back on his throne. The wizard aimed his staff towards the king."I will draw you, Saruman, as poison is drawn from a wound."

Suddenly, the woman in white they had seen before emerged and hopped beside them. It seemed that she was related to the King. She stared at Théoden with concern before rushing out to reach him. Aragorn saw the pale maiden and grasped her by the arm, drawing her back.

"Wait!" the ranger said.

She regarded the guy clothed in black leather without recognising him. She was unfamiliar with the newcomers. She chose to place her faith in Aragorn and waited. However, she remained fixated on her uncle out of concern for him.

Théoden looked weary and old, older than his actual age. He spoke now while using Saruman's voice, "If I go, Théoden dies!"

Gandalf once more pointed at Théoden with his staff, and the King crashed against his throne. "You did not kill me. You will not kill him."

"Rohan is mine!" the voice stated loudly.

"Be gone!" Gandalf commanded.

King Théoden sprung up at Gandalf, yelling, but flew back. Saruman was gone. The fair lady of Rohan rushed to Théoden, whose face started to change, and soon he looked younger again. His old age had fainted away.

"I know your face. Èowyn... Èowyn? Gandalf?" Théoden said recognizing first his niece and then Gandalf.

"Breathe the free air again, my friend," Gandalf said with an earnest smile on his face.