Chapter 15 - Nobody can live forever

Brock turned to me and he didn't seem surprised at all. Just scared. That's when I truly saw Brock for the first time.

He was scared and vulnerable. Of his dad, of Calvin and Blaye, of the other clans and of what he had to do daily to survive. He may kill me, but I pitied him. Calvin was a cold-hearted killer, with a sick, twisted addiction to hurting others. Mentally and physically. Brock was acting in a sort of self defence, the only defence he had to stop his dad hurting him.

"It's okay." I whispered, understanding what he had to do.

"I know how you feel. Just do it quickly. I forgive you." Brock hesitated, conflicting emotions rushing across his face and in that second my father charged at him. He tackled Brock to the ground and punched him in the face. They wrestled for control over the gun.

"Dad! Brock! Don't shoot him!" I yelled, but neither heard me. Then a gunshot went off. I turned in the direction of the noise. Geoff lowered his gun, smoke coming from the barrel. Blood was coming from the tangled mess of limbs that was my father and Brock. I screamed, long and loud. Brock climbed to his feet, panting and shoved my father's body off him. I waited for dad to fight back, to get up, but he just lay there. Then I saw the blood leaking from his skull. My knees buckled and I would have fallen to the ground if Calvin wasn't gripping my hair so tightly. My father was dead. Gone. No. This couldn't be happening. Brock stood up and I was ready for him to shoot me. To end this misery. I could see my dad again! My real dad, not that helpless body lying in a pool of spreading blood.

But Brock's face was red.

"You could have killed me!" He shouted at his dad.

"So what? That man would have killed you anyway. You couldn't shoot someone to save your life." Geoff said carelessly, as though this didn't matter. Brock's fingers trembled on the trigger and he brought the gun up to face me.

"You're a useless coward." Geoff added, suddenly cuttingly cruel.

"You never cared about me. You never loved me." Defiance flashed in Brock's eyes when his father didn't deny the claim.

"AND I'LL SHOW YOU HOW MUCH OF A COWARD I REALLY AM!" Brock swung the gun around and shot his dad in the heart.

Geoff's face froze in an expression of shock before he collapsed. Calvin's grip slackened as he stared in disbelief. I took that as my moment to act. I brought my taped hands up like a club and smashed Calvin in the jaw. My hands felt like they were broken, but Calvin slammed hard onto his back and his gun skidded out of reach. In the corner of my eye I saw mum snatch up the gun at her feet.

"THIS IS FOR MURDERING MY HUSBAND!" She screeched hysterically, then there was a loud bang and Calvin coughed once before slumping, lifeless.

Dad was dead. Calvin was dead. Geoff was dead. Where was Blaye? I caught sight of him disappearing into the forest.

"Someone CHASE BLAYE!" I yelled, but it was too late. Then my mum was hugging me and everything was alright again. 

"You were so brave, my darling girl." my mother whispered into my hair.

"You too mum." I said back, getting choked up.

"Your brother- Ivor... He died last night." Mum said in a rush. I froze. No. He couldn't have died! Ivor couldn't be dead!

"His last words... they were: 'Briella is strong and brave and the best warrior I know. Mum, if she survives, tell her she should be leader. I know she will make the earth clan proud." My mum pulled back and looks at me with pride.

"Sweetie, I know this is all of a sudden, but I think he was right. You must be the next queen of the Earth clan."

The next chapter is the last chapter! Tell me in the comments if you think I should do a sequel, don't be a silent reader!