Chapter 6 - The colour red

Geoff held up his hand for Brock to fistbump, but Brock's hand was as limp as a wet dishrag. Calvin switched his gaze to Brock.

"What's the matter with you, boy?"

"Nothing." Brock avoided Calvin's piercing green eyes, which were narrowing, fast.

"We talked about this. You can't just go babyish on me. Don't you want to make your old dad proud?" Geoff butted in.

"I know." His short answers were just enraging Geoff more.

"Does my legacy mean nothing to you? Boy, I'm gonna have to teach you how to be a man no matter what it takes. Get up front with Calvin." Geoff flicked his head at his son.

"But- what about her?" Brock looked me in the eyes for the first time since I beat him in the fight. I noticed for the first time he had beautiful blue eyes like me. No. Stop it brain. I glared daggers at the weakling. He winced, then dropped his eyes again.

"I can deal with her." Geoff carelessly gave my stomach a shove with his foot, sending me skidding across the floor of the van. The lock on the boot dug into my spine painfully, but I refused to cry. These wussy Fire warriors were going to see how a real earth warrior behaved. Proud and tough, no matter what. Brock was staring at his feet like they had suddenly sprouted tentacles and was pressing himself into a corner. His dad growled under his breath like a dog and raised a hand to hit him.

"Fine. Stay back there and keep an eye on the pretty princess." Calvin said. Geoff looked surprised, but made his way to the front of the van.

So low only he and I could hear it, Geoff muttered: "I'm ashamed to be your father." as he passed Brock.

"You too, Blaye. I think it's time Brock stopped being a coward and learned that warriors don't always get to step back and let others do the work." Calvin barked. Blaye quickly followed orders.

Eli stayed in the corner, even when his father drifted off to sleep. But rather than looking at the floor, his eyes were glued to me, staring fearfully as I glared at him.

"I'm sorry." he said quietly. My terror slowly ebbed as the van ride dragged on. Blaye started to snore, and Calvin kept chugging endless cups of coffee, trying to keep himself awake.

I pulled on the tape until my limbs slumped, my energy draining. Through the window, I watched the fiery red sky turn into a deep blue as rain pattered against the tinted glass. I curled into a ball on my side, managing to slide my bound hands under my feet until they were in front of me, a far more comfortable position. I was flexible, back home I learned flips and handsprings off YouTube, plus a few homemade moves. My head began to turn fuzzy. My eyelids turned heavy. This was probably one of the worst places to fall asleep, so I startled myself awake each time my eyes drooped closed. Eventually though, I stopped fighting and let darkness overcome me.

When I woke it was about midnight, and my head was propped against Brock's knee. He was stroking my red hair, his eyes slowly drooping closed. Part of me wanted to pull away, but I was too tired. I turned my head to look up at the front drowsily. Calvin was still driving, his head bobbing up and down. Geoff was slumped in his seat, snoring loudly. Brock started when I shifted, his eyes flying wide open in alarm and then slowly relaxing.

"Go back to sleep." he murmured. And despite him being my kidnapper, I did, letting the world of dreams pull me back.

Sorry for the short and boring chapter, it's my sisters birthday today so I didn't have much time to write. I promise I'll make the next chapter longer to make up for it! Vote and comment, I post a new chapter every single day!