Chapter 32

OLIVER

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" I stayed where I was. He's standing too close, and there won't be enough time for me to catch him, shall he decide to jump. "Come back inside."

The wind picked up as my eyes peered towards the view of the ocean. The waves raged as the dark clouds gathered above them. It doesn't seem to be a good time to be anywhere near the waters now.

He pans his head back towards the view, partaking in the alcohol. He's nearly done with it, as it was half empty.

"Hey, Ollie," he says. "Remember that night when we talked about the many crimes I've committed? And how I'd rather die than serve in prison for a lifetime?"

I began taking tiny steps toward him.

"Well, today's the day, I suppose," he chuckles before downing the entire bottle, emptying it within seconds. He exhaled loudly and threw the bottle far into the distance before turning around. He pulled out a syringe from his pocket. "Upon our victory yesterday, I stole one for myself. Grandpa's Nonexistent. You see, this device was meant for me. Well, the Red Demon, that is, and I think it's a fitting punishment, right? Dying and not having anyone remembering me?"

His eyes were red as his laugh transitioned to sobbing. He dragged his arm across his runny nose and plastered a smile across his lips as though he weren't crying to begin with. Though his body is shifted in my direction, it's still challenging to catch him before he backs away.

I recalled why he disappeared for a split second after he defeated everybody in the Base. He retreated to the room to get one Nonexistent for himself. He pretended as if everything was okay when he returned.

Honestly, death itself is already cruel that it takes the people we love and care about. We're only left with the memories we shared with them when they were alive. But with the Nonexistent, not a single memory will remain. It'll be as though he never existed.

No, that's not what I want at all.

"Please, don't do this," I held both hands up in surrender. "There has got to be another way. Death isn't always the solution."

"When you've killed as many as I did, there's no more room for forgiveness," he twirled the syringe with his fingers. "Nor should they."

"Don't be a coward and own up to your mistakes," which came out harsher than I expected. "Sure, the judge will sentence you to a lifetime punishment, but you can prove that you're no longer a bad person over time. They'll reconsider shortening your punishment."

That's something I made up. I doubt it's true, but I believe some lies are needed to reel him in, given the current circumstances.

"Look," I took two steps closer. He noticed it. "Whatever you did in the past is bad. I can't deny that. But you can start over. Your background may not have a happy beginning, but that doesn't define you. What does, is the rest of your life. Who you choose you to be from now on."

I took another two steps closer with my hand stretched towards him.

"Come back, please," his expression is dead as his eyes are on my feet... staying alert, shall I take another step. "You've escaped the authorities for so many years, and I know you can still do so. But only this time, you stay as Daniel Carson and leave the Red Demon here, starting now."

I stepped closer that I was now five feet from him with an arm stretched towards him.

"It's too late for me, dude," he breathed before our eyes met. "And don't you dare tell me it's not because you do not know what it's like to wake up every day, afraid that I'll cause more problems."

Slowly but surely, I reached him as I placed my hands on his shoulder, carefully taking his place as we walked back slowly. One step at a time. When we've stood at a safer distance from the cliff, I threw my arms around him as we got to our knees, sinking into the ground, feeling absolutely relieved. My fingers stroked the back of his head while he sobbed against my shoulders.

I held my urge to sob because having two sad people in the scene is never a good idea. Someone has to be brave. Me, I'll be brave for the both of us.

Danny's been brave for his whole life. It's time he released himself.

"You would've been living a normal life if it weren't for me," he said. "You went through hell and still stuck around. Why would you do that?"

"It's just something I do if I want to keep the person," my voice cracked. "And I definitely want to keep you. Even though the entire state, or maybe the world, hates you, I never will."

The trees rustled aggressively as I felt the first raindrop against my neck and the next on my head, then it drizzled. Thunders roared, and I felt his body jolt. I pulled him closer as if I were a shield to protect him from the rain.

The rain picked up, and it drenched us.

Aside from the waves and thunder, my ears sensed whispers in the area. My eyes scoured the forest before me, stopping at every possible hideout where I could perceive whatever it was. It wasn't long before the sound of footsteps crushing twigs came into the picture.

"Watch out!"

It was then I felt a pain like never before in my chest. I couldn't recall how, but I found myself standing in front of Danny, taking a bullet to my chest. The pain became unbearable as the blood oozed uncontrollably, staining my t-shirt. My legs felt weak, and I fell to my side, where I noticed five men coming out of the woods.