Chapter 31

OLIVER

MY HEAD IS SPINNING, but it's manageable.

The light flashing behind my eyelids made me aware that I'd regained consciousness. I flickered them open, only to find myself lying on my bed. My mouth tastes like blood and my nose throbbed as though a rock swung right to it, which makes me wonder what happened last night till I woke up in such a condition.

I lifted my neck with my hands supporting my body, legs dangling over the edge as I sat up. Now that was a struggle, as my body ached with every movement. My eyes glanced down to see my hands had over three bandages. My forehead felt itchy where I wanted to reach for it but felt a thick roll of bandage around it.

I stood on my feet and fell back onto my bed, feeling really heavy. I tried again, got hold of myself, and walked towards the mirror. The reflection in the mirror reflected another version of me that I remember nothing about. He looked fragile, with the many bandages covering his body.

I reached for my forehead and unwrapped the dressing to see a cut the size of a pencil. My fingers traced the dried wound, and there was no pain. I did the same to the other injuries, and neither were painful anymore.

I disposed of all the bandages and head on downstairs. Indistinct chattering rushed in my ears, and they became clearer when I got closer to the kitchen. Mom and dad were dressed for work, and Emily was eating her cereal by the dining table.

"Ollie," Emily was the first to notice me.

Mom and dad dropped everything and rushed right at me.

"You feeling better, bud?" Dad pressed his palm on my forehead to check my temperature. "No fever, so that's a good sign."

"How's your head? We have more pain killers if you need them," mom pulled out a packet of pills.

"I'm fine," I assured. "What happened?"

Mom kept the pills away while dad stood straight, continuing to tie his tie.

"Well, last night you were involved in an accident," mom started.

"A fire accident, I might add," dad interjected.

"Yes, your sister tried calling you, but your friend picked up instead."

"Friend? What friend? Who?"

"If I remembered correctly, he said his name is Daniel," and suddenly, everything started coming back to me.

From the time we've entered the Reaper clan's mansion right up to the moment they knocked me out. The clearer my memory became, the more I panicked.

"What happened to Daniel?"

"We don't know," she claimed. "By the time we got to you, you were resting in the firetruck. We've asked the cops if there was another kid by your side, but they claimed to have found you lying unconscious by a tree."

Fuck!

I dread to know what has happened to Danny. The possibilities are endless. He could've been captured, or killed by the mafia gang, or had an accident when he saved me. Knowing how badly I fucked up made me stomp the floor like a baby throwing a tantrum.

I reached for my phone in my pocket and tried calling him. He didn't answer. I tried again only to receive the same result. I began pacing the room, unaware that mom and dad were still talking to me.

Seven voicemails.

"He's not answering," my grip around the phone feels as though I'm going to break it.

"Get a hold of yourself," mom advised as she slung her backpack over her shoulders, heading towards the door. "I'm sure he's just fine. Probably resting in a hospital or something."