Chapter 30

DANIEL

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. WELL, FEW hiccups, but it's a victory in the end.

The intentional tragedy had been all over the news since last night. Television broadcasted the scene live, journalists crowding police officials for the daily paper, radio hosts questioning the mysterious figure who'd brought the Reaper group to justice.

Obviously, Ollie and I were the figures. No one will know about it as all the evidence, including the security cameras, footprints, clothing, blood, and the members we've encountered, were all destroyed in the manor. The Base containing thousands of the Nonexistent had also been demolished as scientists confirmed the substances found in that part of the mansion were the works of grandpa.

Government officials always love to play dumb and claim grandpa had broken the law in creating such a weapon. Little does society know that their government was the buyer.

The authorities had confirmed that over forty-five of the Reaper clan members were dead, while less than fifteen remained missing.

Oh well, those fifteen guys earned a second chance in life, and hopefully, they'll use it well.

It's been twenty-four hours since that night, and today's the day that grandpa and I will see each other again. It's sad knowing I couldn't say goodbye to anyone because I can't bid someone farewell when I have no one. If people had a chance to do something before their last day, they'd wish their loved ones goodbye. They'll hug, cry, and kiss as if there's no tomorrow because there isn't.

Whereas for me, I only said goodbye to Ollie and Lucifer. I mostly apologized to her, saying that I could no longer feed her and she'll need to find a new owner. Suppose only animals could understand human language that way. In that case, they too could live in peace and speak up when humans are going to bulldoze their shelter, make food out of them, or inform them that their humans are never coming back.

I left grandpa's home untouched and a note on the kitchen table saying nobody would return. Anyone is free to claim this property.

Though, I doubt anyone will live there. Heck, the neighborhood had been deserted for decades. There's no reason for people to live there now.

As I made my way to Sunset Beach, I got myself a bottle of my favorite whiskey brand, Jim Beam Black. I chugged it down slowly, riding leisurely, savoring the taste because that'll be my last bottle ever. Might as well break the law since it's my last day.

I arrived as I slotted my bike in an empty parking spot by the exact location when I brought Ollie here and walked into the forest with my jelly legs. I'm not drunk because I'm still in control of my mind, but God knows for how long. Perhaps I'll walk straight to the cliff and fall off, not needing to use the Nonexistent on myself.

I've never really thought about where I want to die or if I want to be buried or cremated. But I always thought cremation was the best rather than burying where the body will decay forever and increase the population of pests.

However, I do know where I want my ashes to be scattered, exactly where I'm headed now. Aside from home, this cliff was the only sanctuary where I could feel something. A place where no one but me could come and simply think about what I've done and perhaps feel bad or good, depending on the mission. With my ashes scattered here, the wind will carry me to the sea, where I'll disappear from humanity and join the sea.

I never believed in gods or anything supernatural, but I liked the idea of reincarnation. I think that a person's next life will depend on wherever their ashes were scattered. If they're thrown on land, they'll reincarnate as humans once again or land animals such as dogs, cats, or bugs. It also depends on what the person has done in their past life. If they're good, they'll get a better title in their next life. If they're not, well, I guess they'll become a pest for people to step on.

I had enough of living a human life, and hopefully, in my next life—if there is one—I want to be a creature of the sea. Lord knows what kind of creature because even the ocean holds good and bad things like crustaceans and regular fishes. The good ones are predators or animals that aren't hunted easily, such as dolphins, sharks, eels, and whales.

I crossed through the trees leading to the cliff and arrived, still with a sober mind, instantly noticing the ocean music singing in my ears. The sun is out today but is blocked by the clouds, forming the perfect weather. The warm salty air ran through my hair and clothes as I sat crossed-legged on the thick, soft grass, chugging down the whiskey and realizing it was already half empty.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out the Nonexistent, inspecting the diamond-shaped case glistening with the light. I turned the nozzle open and poured the hydrochloric acid aside, watching the syringe gliding out together.

My fingers grabbed hold of the syringe and felt the burn of the acid rolling from the surface. I held it close for my eyes to see the blood-red liquid contained within it and noticed the bubbles were still active, just like the first time grandpa showed it to me.

"Who knew, gramps," I scoffed. "Your creation that was supposed to be used on me will be done by me."

With the needle pressed against my left arm, I was determined to force it in and get it over with, but I held back because one, I had all the time in the world, and two, I was not done with my whiskey. I kept it in between my legs and continued to chug down the drink, taking in the view at the same time.

"Just a little while longer, gramps."