Chapter 27

Daniel

"DAD?" HE STARED AT me with confusion in his eyes. "You must be mistaken for somebody else because I don't have a son. I'm Azrael! Leader of the Reaper clan!"

At this point, I don't know if the mission has failed or if there's still a way to get things back on track. The Base has over ten people, including the leader and me. I was outnumbered by eight members who looked tougher than me. Apart from that, I came across someone I never thought I'd see again, especially in this mansion.

"You have a son," I reach for my mask and pull it down, revealing my scar. "But you abandoned him the day you harmed him."

Dad's name used to be Raphael Carson, and now he's changed it to Azrael. The leader has always been missing in action whenever the group brings disaster to society. People only knew his name because every member chanted his name when they've gained a victory, but no one has seen his face. Not even me, and all this time, I never expected dad to be the leader of the most potent homicidal group to ever exist.

I stood there with my face fully revealed to everyone present in the room. Two men clasped my arms and took my weapons away while the others stood guard by the door. They seemed more like guards than members in this room.

Azrael approached me and gripped my jaw, forcing me to face the directions he wanted, and the longer he pondered on my scar, the clearer he remembered. And no matter how hard he tries to remain calm, his jolted widened eyes, baffled tone, and constant blinking gave it all away.

"The names Daniel Carson," I start. "My mother passed when she gave birth to me. My father left me the night he gave me this scar because his drunk ass couldn't control his temper. And since then, grandpa took me in. Your father, Azrael. Or should I say, Raphael Carson?"

He became slightly more paranoid, to which he backed away, adjusted the invisible wrinkles on his blazer, and cleared his throat as if something was stuck in it.

"The Red Demon, I presume?" He asks after gathering himself.

"I would say it's a pleasure to meet you, but I'd be lying."

"Hold your tongue," he threatened. "My men can take your life with one snap of a finger."

"I'm shaking," I mock.

"My boy," he changed his tone. "You're the notorious Red Demon I've heard so much about. You've caused just as much chaos as we did."

"Like father, like son, I supposed."

"You do not know how long we've been searching for you," he said.

"Why?"

"To join the Reapers, of course!" He rejoiced as if he were Joker telling Batman he's killed Robin. "With your abilities, combined with ours, we'll be unstoppable. Not to mention wealthy!"

"You really think I will join the man who left me in my time of need?" I shook my head. "Not a chance. You were my father, but now, you're just another person to whom I wouldn't shed a tear when you die."

"Feisty!" He clapped and twirled to the center of the room. "I like it! Isn't he just a treat?"

"If you morons are done, can we attack each other now?" I got his attention. "I've got some work to do."

He turned around, and his expression looked unnerving. His smile made it more threatening as everyone in the room had their heads lowered, staring at the ground. Well, not me. He gestured for the guys to free my arms and join the others at the door. Although my arms are free, I have nothing to use against them.

I wonder how Ollie's doing so far.

I hope he's okay.

"I'm sorry for abandoning you," Azrael reaches for my shoulders, squeezing them. "Believe me, when I woke up the next day to see you injured so badly, I went out seeking medications, but you know well as I do that, we couldn't afford so many things back then."