Chapter 19

Oliver

"I'LL BE GOING NOW," I opened the door, got out, and shut it before mom or dad could respond.

Ever since I've returned, they've been overprotective of my whereabouts that they won't leave me alone without video calling me every hour asking if I'm alright. On mornings before I leave for college, mom will trace a cross against my forehead with 'holy water' and pray for an hour, asking god to keep me safe. It's getting tedious as the time comes. I know I want my parents back, but this is a whole new level of behaviour that pushes me further away from them.

I heard their muffled voice from behind the house, to which I made a break for it before they could catch me. I am not letting them hold me back on a Friday night.

Tonight, unexpectedly, Daniel invited me for a walk. He wanted to continue our little get-together before his grandfather interrupted halfway. Honestly, I was surprised when he called. I didn't think he would, considering he's a brutal serial killer with no feelings. Not to mention the number of times he tried to get rid of me. I guess now he's trying, sort of, and frankly, I like it.

I think it's been a while since I walked during the night. I forgot how beautiful and serene it can be to feel the cooling breeze around my skin, the simple sound of indistinct chattering coming from the neighbours, creatures of the night playing their orchestra, and a magnificent full moon lighting up the sky. Though there weren't many stars around it.

The last time I walked through a night like this was with Jamie from basketball class back in high school. I volunteered to stay late and organize the hall for the upcoming basketball tournament. Thankfully, other students joined too, which allowed me to steal a glance or two of the guys practising their game.

Even before Hannah and I were through, I was into guys. I didn't realize it until my friends caught me giving googly eyes to some dudes in our school. I guess you can say I wasn't fond of this recent development, that I hoped Hannah might fix this part of me.

She didn't.

In fact, she just strengthened it.

It's funny how I was born in a Christian household, but I became bisexual, even though I know that it's a sin in the bible. Not that I care, but it's just odd.

After the basketball team was done practising and the hall was set for the tournament, everyone went home. Jamie and I were the last to leave the school grounds, and it was already eleven at night. And since both our parents are unable to get us, he figured it would be good to use the buddy system and walk home together. He was living just a few blocks from my house.

That night matched this night. It was magical, as we talked about random things and got to know each other. He was actually a really nice person, but everyone is during their first encounters, right?

Well, we were friends for a while, but I stopped talking to him after noticing he had a girlfriend. I felt my heart shattered, which confirmed I was bisexual.

I've never been so hurt seeing a straight couple happy.

That was my first.

I spotted Daniel standing by a street lamppost. The orange light radiated upon him with his shadow accompanying him. It's hard to miss those muscular arms, even with his black t-shirt hugging them. I'm glad he left the Red Demon at home and brought just Daniel. Not even a surgical mask on.

Somehow, I enjoy seeing those jaded eyes. I'd take them any day over a motionless masked eye.

"Hey," I waved as I got closer.

He effortlessly waved back.

"You're not wearing a mask?" I asked, my eyes on his scar by the corner of his mouth.

"It's nighttime, and the place we're headed isn't crowded," he responded. His husky voice felt relaxed.

"You look good," he does. He looks really good.

"Shall we?" He's blushing? I guess so.

"Let's," I walked next to him, and we began walking ahead. "So, where is this place?"

"Sunset Beach," he said.

"Oh," was all I could say, even when I had many questions circling through my mind. "But isn't that like... far from here?"

"Not really. It's only a couple minute ride from here."

"But we're walking," I reminded him.

"Who said we're going there by foot?" He took a turn where he approached a tree, and there was a motorbike parked underneath it. "We're riding there."

"I-I've never ridden a bike before," I'm terrified because I've seen countless motorcycle accidents on the news channel. It's even more terrifying when they blur the images of the victims for being too graphic.

"You're the passenger, not the driver," he tossed a helmet to which I barely caught. It felt heavy even with the soft fabric material within it, and I could see my reflection on the dark, glossy surface. "Get on."

Fine, I'll man the fuck up.

I took a deep breath and fastened the helmet on as I climbed over the bike.

"Please drive carefully," I could hear my thoughts but not my actual words.

"No promises," he rammed into the gear. "Hold on tight!"

With that, he lifted his leg that supported the bike's weight and drove into the night. I swear, every second, it felt as if I'm about to bring us down with my weight. The bike felt like a massage chair that vibrates. My whole body is shaking that it's going to itch the moment we get off later.

I nearly placed my hands on his shoulders, but I recalled how he didn't like to be touched. Therefore, I gripped the bike's tail and kept my eyes on the road. He was driving at hyper-speed when we made it to the highway, where there weren't many vehicles on the way.

It's a Friday night... where is everybody?

I wish I didn't have the helmet on so I could feel the wind in my hair as if I was flying because right now, that's precisely what I'm feeling. Only, it's more like Flash than Superman as we're on the road and not in the sky. Nevertheless, I was really enjoying the ride.

However, it was too late by the time I got used to it as we were almost reaching the beach. Rather than heading for the road leading to the beach, Danny took the opposite route, leading further from the shore.

I kept myself from getting terrified, thinking he lied about going to the beach, but in reality, he wanted to take me to an unknown destination to do something horrible.

That wasn't the case.

Up ahead, I could see lights gleaming from restaurants and night markets. He slowed down as the place had people. He spotted an empty bike parking, to which he slotted in and turned off the engine.

"You brought us to a night market?" I jumped off the bike and unbuckled my helmet. The area seemed brighter without the tinted helmet shade shielding my eyes. It wasn't long before chatterings from a distance could be heard.

"No," he took my helmet and hung it by the handle, securing it. "We're heading up there."

I followed his finger, pointing behind me to see a mini jungle. There were tall trees that stretched for god knows how far and not a single light within the woods.

"Is it safe?" The paranoia is back.

"I've been here many times, yes," he said. "Relax, I'm not going to murder you in there. I would've already done it the day I kidnapped you."

"I didn't mean that!" I defended even though I knew somewhere in the back of my mind I thought of that. "It's just I've never been to a dark jungle... or any jungle for that matter."

"You've never gone for a hike before?"

"No," I breathed, embarrassed.

"Surprise, surprise," he had a small, smug look. It felt good to see some emotions on his face for the first time. Neither the Red Demon mask nor a surgical mask is covering his expressions this time.

He walked past me. "Coming?" He continued walking.

Here goes nothing.