Chapter 10

Oliver

NEVER HAVE I WALK in the crime valley after midnight. Never before have I walked in crime valley at all. The cool breeze swayed the nearby trees as they crashed against my skin, causing my arm hairs to stand. Nature seems louder when no one is awake, and darkness fills the area. There were only a few lampposts lighting the way, but it didn't give a sense of safety. In fact, it's the opposite.

I've been kicked out or released by my kidnapper. Though, I wished he would've let me stay for the night and make my journey back home during daylight. I've been wandering around this ghost town of a neighborhood, trying to find someone who could lend me their phone so I can call my parents.

I've been walking for a while now, and I'm nowhere near civilization. My surroundings are tranquil, as if I went deaf.

Though perhaps I spoke too soon as I spotted three people lounging by the entrance of an apartment. By its looks and the sound of their cackling, they were all men. The lights around the apartment helped me perceive they were slightly taller than the average person and dressed in a button-up collar t-shirt. Though their shirts weren't buttoned as their lumpy stomach was exposed.

The scent of cigarettes entered my nostrils as I approached them, and broken glasses on the road reflected the light into my eyes.

"These gentlemen are celebrating or something?" I thought to myself.

My feet accidentally stepped on broken glass, shattering them into smaller glasses as the sound alerted them.

"Hello," I waved as I stepped closer. "I'm sorry to bother you guys on this fine morning, but could I lend a phone to call someone?"

"Where are you from, little boy?" One of them stood up, nearly falling back down.

"I'm just lost, and I need to call my pare—friend to come and fetch me," I responded, trying to hide that I was terrified. I approached the wrong set of people.

"Sure, we'll help you out," another guy approached next to the man standing in front of me. They were a lot taller than I was, and they reeked alcohol.

"Thank you very much!" My nerves calmed down when he said that.

"Come here, join us for a drink," the first guy gripped my elbow and dragged me towards the entrance where another guy was sitting. He had a stick cigarette between his lips. I felt his eyes running all over me.

"No, thank you, I don't drink," I tried breaking free, but his grip refused to budge. I tried harder, and still no use. I was disgusted by how the texture of his hand felt moist.

"Nonsense," another guy threw his arm over my shoulder. His breath was repulsive with the combination of alcohol and nicotine. "You smell nice, boy."

It took me a while to realize that they were all drunk. And it only scared me even more. One of them had their hand on my butt. I jolted and tried to break free. I kept pulling and finally broke free, but one of them kicked my face, causing me to crash into my back. I'm seeing double as that kick stung my face.

"What's your rush?" The guy sitting by the entrance got up and pinned me against the ground. He was more robust than the other two. His hand glides under my shirt, and that's when I broke down, accepting that I'm dying in the hands of these drunkards.

Nevertheless, I kept attempting to break free even though I was losing my energy. Fear was all I could feel as he bent down and breathed on my neck. I closed my eyes as the tears rolled down by the corner, accepting my fate.

"Fuck off!" someone yelled.

My eyes shot open to see Mr. Demon fighting the other guys with a dagger in his hand. They were already bleeding on the ground, and it wasn't long before the man above me attempted to flee, but only to have the dagger pierced through his neck.

I dragged myself back until I hit the pavement further from them as I watched Mr. Demon approaching the guy with the dagger in his neck.

He was begging for mercy, but Mr. Demon only pushed the dagger deeper and pulled it back out to stab the heart multiple times. I was scared before, but now I'm terrified of witnessing a murder. The other two guys had already escaped by then.

"As I said before, you're one stupid kid," Mr. Demon approached me after finishing with the guy. I glanced away. My eyes traveled to see him dead by the road. "It's common sense to never approach strangers, especially when they're drunk or twice the size of you!"

He was yelling, and the only thing I could do was curl with my arms around my knees and cry. I was assaulted for the first time, and now I'm scarred for life.

"I'm sorry," I manage to say, avoiding the eyes of his mask.

I felt his presence sitting next to me, even with my head buried in my crossed arms.

"Are you injured?" He asked a while later.

"No."

"Good, now call your folks and get the hell out of here," he pressed something against my arm. I lift my chin to see a phone.

"Didn't you say people can track you?" I sniff.

"This is that asshole's phone, so the only thing they're going to track is a dead person," he said.

I look down at his hand with the phone in it. Bloodstained his fingers and the metallic scent from it was simply unsettling. Nevertheless, I took the phone and dialed mom's number.

"Hello?" She picked up after the third ring. She sounded asleep. Well, it makes sense since it's currently four in the morning.

"Mom? Oliver here," I said.

"Oliver, honey!" Her voice became active. "Are you okay? Where are you?"

"I'm s-safe now, mom," I stuttered. "I'm by the Orange Brick apartment, located twelve miles from Sunny Spirit. Please come and get me."

"Yes, we're coming now! Stay safe, honey!" She spoke so fast I could hardly catch her words.

The phone call ended, and I felt a sense of relief I was finally going home.

"You said your parents don't care about you," Mr. Demon spoke. "The way your mom reacted through the call says otherwise, kid."

"I don't know," I said. "It's hard to explain. If you lived in my house, you would know what it's like. Perhaps it was a moment thing. You know, the feeling you get after waiting so long to achieve something?"

"Count your blessings, kid," he said. "That's all I could say."

My eyes automatically traveled to the dead body lying on the road, which felt like lightning had struck me. Mr. Demon is here!

"How did you find me, by the way?"

He baffled. "I was walking around and heard the chaos here, so I wanted to check it out," he said clearly.

"Lucky me," I smiled. "Thank you for saving me. I owe you one."

"Y-you're welcome," he exhaled.

Finally! He said something polite.

"Don't take this the wrong way, but don't you want to leave?" I asked. "My parents might see you."

"They're twelve miles away. I'm sure they'll take a while," he said. "Besides, I'll leave when they arrive."

"You're staying to protect me?" That's what I thought he said.

"No—I'm—it's—no, it's just that—" he's really baffled. And hearing his mixed words while looking at the dead expression of his mask is hilarious.

"Thank you, Mr. Demon," I laughed. He looks away.

"The name's Daniel," he said under his breath. "Grandpa calls me Danny."

"Danny," I tried saying it. "It has a nice ring to it."

I leaned against the pavement with my legs stretched out, shook off the unfortunate event over me, and took in the night's cool breeze.

"Thank you, Danny."