Chapter 20

Oliver

AS SOMEONE WHO LOVES—not like... love—food, I couldn't help but stop by the night market and pick up a few grubs to snack on wherever we're going.

I still don't know where we're headed. All I know is that I'm getting tired of walking through the jungle. My feet have stepped on weird textures that felt crunchy, squishy, slimy and god knows what else, but I didn't bother to stop and observe because of one wrong move, and I'll lose Daniel and get lost. The trees rustle as owls swoop past from one tree to another, spooking the hell out of me. I feel like Snow White when she runs into the jungle, and everything comes to life.

Though, nothing out of the ordinary is happening.

We've been walking for a while now, and we've passed so many landmarks left by other people. The signs made it easier to safely travel in and out of the jungle, so that's a relief. I've snacked on three pork sausages on a stick, and I'm still hungry. I dug into the bag of snacks for more and noticed there were only a few chocolate glazed donuts left, a paper bag of Takoyaki, a bag of Doritos, and four cans of Doctor Pepper. I've finished the pork sausages.

I changed my mind and saved the snacks for later.

"I'm surprised you're not fat," he spoke through the cricket music in the jungle.

That's the same thing Adriana said.

"I was," I climbed over a fallen tree blocking the way.

"Really?"

"Long story short, I grew up obese, developed image insecurities in high school, and slimmed down," I said. "It was the worse experience of my life, so now; I simply eat but in moderation."

"Judging by the food bag in your hand, it seems more than moderation," he teased.

"I like to splurge on special occasions," I caught myself from tripping over a rock and nearly bumping into him.

He turns around to face me. "This is a special occasion?" He seemed confused.

"Sure, I'm out with my kidnapper, who's taking me to an unknown destination," I joked. "I'd say it is."

He scoffs before shaking his head and turning around.

"Well, alright then, because we're here," he started climbing up a hill with small gaps, making it seem like stairs leading to higher grounds.

I followed him, and up ahead, the full moon shuns so brightly, making it seem like the light at the end of the tunnel. The trees in our surroundings reduced as we ventured further, and the sounds of waves crashing unraveled. As we stepped out, I realized we were standing on a cliff with a magnificent view of the ocean, where the waters gleamed with the moon that looked huge from where we were standing. The crisp, salty air felt refreshing as it runs through our hair and clothes.

"This is where I relax," he said when I reached by his side. "The atmosphere is unique compared to the city."

"It sure is," I inhaled a lung full of air and exhaled slowly. That felt good. "You always come here?"

"Only when I want to feel something," he said, eyes staring into the distance.

"Happiness? Joy? Sadness? Peace?" I suggested.

His neck turns to face me.

"Yes."

"So, why'd you brought me here?" I was curious. "This place is like your hideout, where you could be yourself. Why would you expose it to a stranger like me?"

"I've been asking myself that question since I met you," he scoffs with an irresistible smile. "I've shown you my house, my grandfather, disclosed my background, and even my face. No one aside from gramps has seen my true appearance."