Chapter 28

OLIVER

"ARE YOU OKAY?" I tried breaking free, but their grip around my arms felt like industrial cement.

I think the mission has failed because of my carelessness. It also shows how untrustworthy I could be in handling a simple task such as this. All the lessons in learning how to use weapons were fresh in my mind until I felt pressure, and I simply crashed.

Fuck, I was even assaulted.

"I'm fine," Daniel responded. He turned his attention toward the leader. "What makes you think I'm going to kill him?"

My attention stayed on the leader when the atmosphere went quiet. He glared at Daniel with the eyes of a predator. The same glare I received the first time Danny and I met. The leader kept his eyes on Danny as he slowly walked toward me.

He gripped my cheeks and forced my eyes to meet his. It was then I realized he had the same shade of green as Danny's eyes. They were drilling into mine as if they were searching for hidden treasure, and it's unsettling to know he's Daniel's father. But then again, I should've seen this coming.

No.

No, I didn't see this coming because it's not every day you get kidnapped by the state's most wanted serial killer and the son of the well-known mafia group.

I felt even more uncomfortable remembering I had no clothes on but my boxers. It feels like everyone is staring at me.

From the corner of my eye, I noticed Daniel was preparing to attack, and when he attempted it, they held him back by locking his arms on his back. He groaned as he fell to his knees.

The leader began chuckling.

"Try anything funny, and I'll end him myself," he spoke. I felt his pointy nails piercing my dimples. "I see this young man has turned you into a weakling just like everybody else who falls in love."

He released my cheeks, and it felt like a burning iron touched my face. He turned around with his arms folded behind his back, pacing at the center of the room, eyes closed, forehead facing down.

"I can't blame you," he chuckles. "He's the innocent type, just like your mother. They may be powerless against people like us, but they sure can steal a person's heart, which is not something we could do. We destroy it."

"I've never met my mother," Daniel got his attention. "But after knowing the new you, Azrael? Well, I'm happy she's gone, so she doesn't need to spend her life with a turd like you."

Azrael? The leader's name is Azrael?

Seems like a rather fitting name for someone like him, but at the same time, not really. There are many origins of the original Azrael, but the general statement is that he's an angel of death, a being who takes the soul out of the body. Whereas this Azrael simply takes the life of people, he is no angel.

"Regardless, you're right," he jerked off the men holding his arm. They let him go as he walked up to Azrael. "Together, we're unstoppable, and I'd rather choose to live this life with someone who abandoned me than with someone who'll weaken me even further."

Azrael's smile widened as he cackled. He balled his hands into a fist as he rejoiced.

"Yes! Yes! Yes!" He reached for Danny's gun, which the members had confiscated earlier, and handed it back. "The possibilities we'll accomplish with you by our side! Money! Diamonds! Girls! Mansions!"

If I was worried before, I'm now frightened when I processed what Danny had said, and it seemed like I'd be dying in his hands. Since the day we met, I knew somehow that I was going to die, but I didn't ponder because death was never something I was afraid of. In fact, I liked my kidnapper, and because of me, he's changed. He's more human now than he ever was before.