Chapter 5

Oliver

WHEN I WISHED TO be kidnapped, I didn't mean literally and definitely not by a stranger.

I felt like I've just finished a Fast and Furious scene with the unknown stranger trying to escape the cops. A black mask, similar to a demon with those horns and bladed fangs, insulated his face. I guess that's why they called him the Red Demon. Though, why red when his mask is black?

I've been trailing behind him with my wobbling body because of the injuries from jumping and falling practically every step I took. There are minor cuts around my arms, a soreness on my back and butt, and my knees bleeding. It reminded me of the injuries I had first got when I fell off my bike. I didn't have my protective gears on, and it was an opportunity for mom to throw a big fat "I told you so!"

He tied my hands by his wicked-cool gauntlet, which transformed into handcuffs in just one command. He's used the many blades against my neck, deflected bullets, and now they're handcuffs. It's like a multipurpose arm weapon. I wonder where he got it from and how much would it cost? I'm guessing more than what I paid for my iPhone eleven.

The sewer smells worse than the boy's bathroom in college. Or any boy's bathroom. I dread to see what lies beneath the surface of the moldy waters rushing down the drain. At least there are lights—well, dysfunctional lights—lighting the darkness to wherever we're going. We've been walking for nearly fifteen minutes, and I'm surprised we never came across any rotten pests or decomposing bodies. It seems like Adriana's story about sewers being home for zombies and dead bodies is nonsense.

Or maybe we just haven't found them yet. Even worse, perhaps the guy I'm following is the zombie.

"You're not a zombie, right?" I spoke after a long while of silence.

He turned around, and I couldn't make out his expression. So long as he has his mask on, he'll always portray dead eyes and a hilarious mouth with blades. It reminds me of Mileena from the Mortal Kombat game. I've only played with her once when I went over to Victor's house for a sleepover. She's not only hot, but deadly. That bitch's a cannibal!

"What if I am?" His husky voice echoed in my ears.

"That would be so cool!" I spoke a little louder than I should've. "If you are a zombie, is that why you're wearing a mask? Or how you're able to get away from the cops smoothly and survive?"

"You are aware you're being held hostage, right?" He crossed his arms.

"Yeah."

"And why are you not sulking, screaming, or crying?" He said. "You should be crying! It powers up my rage to slap your face hard that a tooth comes out."

"Have you done that before?" I really want to know.

"You're one stupid kid," he turns around and walks again. I followed.

"Not the first person to call me that," I said.

"Well then, I applaud those people," his gloved hand clapped, making a muffled sound in my ears.

I wanted to say something but didn't as I notice a steep flight of stairs leading up to an opening. The sun radiates through the gaps of the holes, which means that's our exit.

"You first," he gestured towards the stairs.

"Okay," I skipped a couple of steps and reached within seconds. I pushed through the heavy metal opening as the light blinded me.

I climbed out once the opening fell towards the side. And then the guy, too.

We're standing by an alleyway in between two apartment buildings. With my chin held up, I noticed the silence in the air. Not a sound coming from birds, vehicles, or people. The walls of both apartments were faded red and vandalized with various street arts. Out of all, the painting of a large woman's head where her eyes are replaced with clocks spooked me.