The Break Out

(Finally reached 7k :) )
____________________

Cross slowly crept around the ship searching for nightmare. Every since he woke up he only vaguely remembered everyone on the ship... only nightmare and Geno stood out in his memories. Well actually, when cross woke up he barely remembered anything at all.

Cross continued to quietly walk across the deck of the ship hoping to wonder into somewhere familiar. Cross scanned the area stopping at the sight of a large hatch. Cross scurried over to the hatch and pulled the heavy wooden door open... the task taking more energy out of him than it should've. When the door opened cross was immediately swamped in an hostile feeling that made him feel on edge. It was a long hallway only lit up by a few lanterns... with wooden cells on both sides of the hallway. The smell of mold and the feeling of the hot, damp air filling up his senses. Yep... he really didn't like this place. Cross started to cautiously walk down the hallway... itching to summon some type of weapon even though he knew he would never use it... it went against everything he promised the day his brother had their lives taken away.

"All because of you." A ghostly voice whispered.

Cross head whipped to the side subconsciously summoning a knife. Cross breathed heavily as he tried to relax his mind... though the heated air made it unbearably harder. 'Your just paranoid cross... get yourself together and do what you are here to do.' Cross thought to himself as he let his knife wither away, and his mind focused in on his task... find nightmare. Cross continued to quietly walk down the hallway... already knowing that he was in some sort of dungeon, and he already knew the chances of nightmare being in here was very low... but he had nowhere else to go.

Cross suddenly felt light headed and his ears started to ring... as his vision went slightly blurry. Cross gripped his head with both of his hands as he quickly backed up... not considering he was in a narrow hallway. There was a loud bang and cross yelped as he felt the pain in his head feel more intense as he felt himself fall to the ground... and his back was up against something hard. As the pain made his head feel numb he slowly opened his eyes... his vision becoming worse... now him only able to pick the frames of the things surrounding him. Poor cross had no idea how fragile his state was. As the pain somewhat subsided... only the old cracks he had since he woke up still flared up with pain, and he slowly rose to his feet... making sure he kept a hand on his head. Once he found nightmare... he'll tell Geno what happened... he'll probably know why that happened. Cross smiled as he thought about Geno... he misses him... he really did. He was one of the only friends from his childhood that stayed with him for this long... and out of everybody that he knew from his childhood... Geno was the one that recognized him almost immediately and even help keep his secret. Cross sighed as he felt loneliness creep into his soul... it felt like it has been so long since he saw or heard someone he recognized... and even though he was awake he didn't know most the people he knew before... whatever happened.

Cross sighed as he tried to push those thoughts away... he would find someone he knew... he had to. Cross continued down the hallway... making sure to stop every so often to sooth the numbing pain in his skull. As cross reached a turn in the hallway he heard faint noises of an discussion, and the fragile skeleton stopped and peered around the corner... hoping to not be seen... and saw a skeleton with black line on his face... he looked... somewhat familiar. At this point though... cross didn't even if he should trust his mind. Cross stopped looking at the skeleton who seemed to be talking to someone, and decided to listen in to their on-going conversation.

"And once we are finished... the captain will decide what your fate is." The skeleton said... cross assuming it was the one outside the cell. Once the voice said that it was silent for a couple seconds and then there was footsteps, and cross froze as he realized he could be headed for where he was. Cross then started to feel the buzzing pain in his head, but cross... not really wanting to make a sound...
couldn't do anything about. After a couple more seconds cross heard something heavy slam closed. He must be close to the exit... and maybe whoever was in that cell could know where nightmare is... seeing as he had some kind of association with him. As he thought of that he realized something else the skeleton outside the cell was talking about the captain... and the captain is nightmare... so he probably knew where he was! Cross thought as he starts to turn the corner to try to catch the skeleton before he was gone, but stopped... knowing that he would probably never catch the mysterious skeleton... probably already long gone... and cross didn't know the ship well enough to find his way around. Cross sighed as he started cautiously walking to the cell. Once cross got to the cell he looked through the wooden holes and spotted a skeleton who seemed starved and was hurt.

"Hello?" Cross asked as he saw the skeleton slowly raise his head to him. "Cross? What are you doing here? Why aren't with your boyfriend?" The skeleton said in a snarky tone.

"What do you mean... "boyfriend"?" Cross asked genuinely not understanding what this skeleton was talking about. 'Wait... could he be talking about... nightmare?' Cross thought to himself... and he felt his face heat up at the thought of this skeleton calling nightmare his boyfriend. As cross focused back in on his situation he finally saw the skeleton's face twist into some wicked grin as he started hysterically laughing.

"Haha! Oh god! Did Dream really hit you that hard! You don't remember anything do you!" The skeleton yelled as he continued laughing like an crazy person. As the skeleton finally started calming down he continued to speak to cross. "Anyways... the names blue... and I'm a... friend of the captains. And he asked me to check on the skeleton that was just outside my cell, but once I got here, he wasn't here at all. So I unlocked the cell... and he appeared out of nowhere. Once he tricked me... that asshole stole my keys and locked me in here, and if we don't do anything quick... then he is going to hurt the captain." Blue explained before continuing. "If you could let me out though then I could stop him from hurting nightmare." Blue said as he waited for cross to respond.

"But... I don't have the keys..." cross said to blue not knowing what he could do to get him out. Blue then chuckled before telling cross, "you could just use your magic... you can summon knives right? Then just use that." blue said as he waited for cross to continue. "Why can't you use your own magic?" Cross asked suspiciously. Blue slowly held up his hands showing two gray colored cuffs. "Magic restraints... don't have a wisp of magic with these on. Was gonna put it on kil- that skeleton but he put them on me instead." Blue explained quickly while putting his hands down. "Now are you gonna help me or not... I don't have all day." Blue said impatiently with a slight glare at cross. Cross looked at his hands... he really didn't like summoning his knives, but... this was for nightmare... and at this point he had no other option. With that cross summoned his weapon and cut a hole through the cell allowing blue to be free.

Once he was free Blue held his hands out to the magic restraints on his wrists. Cross understood and cut through the magic restraints allowing him to escape. Once cross did this though... blue's grin widened and blue magic swirled around him before he disappeared... only saying one thing to cross.

"You never change cross... still a foolish skeleton you are." Blue said and cross eyes widened as he realized...

Blue wasn't the good guy...

___________________

Killer suddenly heard a loud bang and the sound of magic being used.

Killer was just going back to blue's cell... realizing that he forgot to tighten the cuffs around his ankles, but now he starting to realize something bigger could be going on.

Killer quickened his pace imagining any and everything that could've happened... and most of all... the punishments he would receive for every outcome... none of them being good.

Once killer turned the last corner his eyes went wide. On the ground was C and looked like someone just beat the shit out of him. There were bruises covering almost every inch of exposed bone, and his skull... was the worst... blood running down the back and the old wounds they got from the last trip reopened. Killer then thought of what could've happened the last stop they had with C... since Nightmare refused to share any details about what happened to C and only shared that Geno died... but never told them how he died... with the limited information they had... it was now only up to killer's imagination to know what happened.

Killer then used his magic to pick up C and he started running across the hall and he knew...

He needed to find nightmare.

______________________

Word count: 1,622

24