A Haunting Past

Cross eyes slowly opened expecting to feel the itchy blanket and a thin hammock... that was somehow able to hold him, but he woke up to feeling a warm blanket and a soft pillow under him. Cross was starting to close his eyes again, but the memories of the previous day came flooding back into his head. Cross's eyes shot open and he felt himself fall. He closed his eyes and expected to feel the hard floor underneath him, but felt nothing. He slowly opened seeing him only inches away from the floor. He then heard footsteps coming closer to him and stopping right in front of him. He slowly opened his eyes... his vision met with familiar black boots.

"Careful there button... don't want you getting hurt." A voice said. Cross flushed and looked up getting greeted by nightmare smirking down at him. "W-what did you just call m-me?" Cross said not able to stop the blush rising to his face. "What? Don't like it? I'll stop calling yo-" "no! No... it's fine... I like it." Cross said cutting nightmare off. Nightmare continued to smile before looking down to somewhere else.

"How's your arm?" Nightmare said his expression going from happy to concerned. Cross eyes widened... he totally forgot about his arm. He looked over to his own arm surprised to see that it was healed. No more bandages no more pain. "Oh wow.... Yea... it feels great. Did you do this?" Cross said looking back over to nightmare. "Uh yea-" "how can you do this! Even Geno can't heal several cracks and breaks... not even going to mention that you fixed the scars it left!" Cross exclaimed astonished about nightmare's ability to heal. "Well yea... I guess I just had a lot of practice." Nightmare said and cross felt himself get gently placed on the floor. He looked above him seeing a tentacle recoiling back to nightmare. "Really? On who?" Cross asked almost immediately regretting his decision. Nightmare's eye light disappeared and his tentacles lashed around breaking the nightstand that was next to the bed.

Cross just stared wide eyed while nightmare started to calm down. "I-I healed one of my f-friends whenever he got h-hurt." Nightmare stuttered. His tentacles still lashing around violently. "O-ok um-" cross got cut off when nightmare continued. "He died though and... it was my fault... I was weak. I'm not weak anymore." Nightmare said his tentacles suddenly lashing at cross gripping him in a tight hold. Cross felt tears of pain prick the corner of his eyes feeling his ribs start to crack and the air being sucked out of him. Suddenly cross yelped as he was yanked over to nightmare, who was currently holding his head and closing his eyes, "I'm not weak. I'm not weak. I'm not weak. I'm not weak! I'm not weak!...Not anymore." Nightmare had cross right in front of him and his tight grip loosened making cross gasp for air. Nightmare then wrapped his arms around cross again.

"I may have let cross die... but I'm never letting you go." Nightmare said hugging cross tighter. "Wh-what... who's cross?" Cross said his head feeling dizzy once more. "He was my best friend.. I knew him before I became... this." Nightmare said not letting cross go. "Became... this?" Cross asked feeling dizzier every passing second. "I wasn't always like this C... I used to be much smaller and more vulnerable. I am... I was dreams brother." That seemed to make something snap in cross. His eye light's disappeared and his mind went blank.

He remembered...

..... he remembered.... Everything.

He remembered the fall.

The torture.

He remembered nightmare.

... welcome back...

...Cross

                      ————————————

11