Trick

Nightmares panted as he finished the last flight of stairs and had to stop himself from yelling out in relief as he saw the cells... meaning he now entered the dungeon. He took a moment to catch his breath before he dropped Geno. Geno grunted in pain when he came crashing down to the ground. "You sure he's in here nightmare... looks pretty empty to
me." Geno said to nightmare. Nightmare glared at Geno for using his real name... the only person he would allow to do that was cross. "He has to be in here... I check almost everywhere else in the castle and there was absolutely no sign of him." Nightmare said starting to walk through the room scanning every cell for at least a sign of his dear cross. Geno paused contemplating if he should ask, "did you.... Did you check the place where cro-"

"No." Nightmare said his eye shining brighter with so many hurtful and painful memories and so many negative emotions. Geno backed down and stayed silent as he watched nightmare look through every cell. Geno started spacing out... he knew there was a chance Dream took cross to... that place since he knows nightmare would never dare step into that place again. Or maybe he just got tired of cross and maybe he just kil-

Geno flinched whenever he heard a frustrated cry. "God! Where is he?!" He heard the captain yell. Geno looked at him... he knew how stressed he was... and to be honest, he pitied him. He would never tell the captain that though. "Maybe he's somewhere else in the castle?" Geno said. "No! He isn't... I checked everything... every room in this damn castle, but he's just not here!" Nightmares yelled dropping to his knees. Geno stared at him sadly... the all powerful and feared captain dropping on his knees for some crew member. "Maybe... we should just go back... the more time we spend here, the more time they have to catch us." Geno's suggested... losing hope for cross's life. "No! I can't I won't let him get hurt." Nightmare said clearly on the verge of tears. Geno glared at him slightly... his patience running thin. "We should go back to the ship captain... it's dangerous here. Especially with all the guards searching the castle for us." Geno said a bit more louder and fierce with the idea that cross was already dead. "No w-"

"why do you even want to risk your life to save C! Are you stupid or do you want to end up like cross! Because you know what he is now... he's dead nightmare, and so is C!" Geno screamed his patience snapped and his senses fill with grief  and anger. Everything went silent after Geno said that nightmare stared at the floor and Geno looked at him with wide eyes... realizing what he just said to nightmare.

  "He's not dead... and you of all people should know we don't talk about him, Geno." Nightmare said dangerously venom laced in his voice. Geno looked at nightmare with his voice stuck in his throat. Oh how Geno regretted saying those words to nightmare. Geno tried to whisper an apology but nightmare spoke before him, "I will go to any length to save C... I don't fucking care if the crew is getting impatient... I am their captain and they will obey me... and you will too Geno... do you understand?" Nightmare asked finally turning around to face Geno. Geno started trembling and inhaled shakily... nightmare stood in- front of him. His eyes looking crazed and his tentacles lashing everywhere. Cyan mist flowing from his eyes and tears running down his face. Geno felt tears in his eyes seeing his Captain look like this, "I-I understand... c-captain." Geno said quietly. "You are right though... he probably took C to the clearing, and dream better believe I will go there... I am not letting someone else I love die... never again." Nightmare said a tendril curling around Geno lifting him up. Geno eyes widened, "y-you love him?" Geno whispered surprised, but still terribly frightened of the dark captain. Nightmare paused and just stared at Geno, " ...yes." Nightmare said and teleported them both outside of the castle.

                             ——————————

Cross sat in the clearing limply... tears flowing down his face and his leg twisted the wrong way. Whenever Dream teleported them outside the castle cross took it as a perfect time to try to escape, but as always, Dream caught him and broke his leg so he wouldn't try to escape again. Now cross laid on the ground in a pool of his own blood, though, he could get a clear image of the clearing he was in. he could see a edge of a cliff and a crown with a crescent moon on it. Though it was rusting and mossy... he could tell who's it was. It was nightmare's crown. And this was the clearing he... or cross... died. Cross looked around himself trying to spot dream. After Dream broke his leg he just disappeared and cross couldn't find him, but cross knew damn well Dream was still here. Cross's eyes widened in fear when he heard footsteps coming towards him, and he quickly looked up and cried harder when he saw who it was... it wasn't sadness though... he was relieved.

So relieved

Nightmare... you came for us

———————————————

17