The Past is the Past

Cross limped back to his room in his castle. He was sick of this. Being a royal guard. Of course, there is nothing wrong with being a royal guard, but a certain prince took an interest in me... prince dream.
I use to think that the interest he had would be a good interest, but it was definitely not a good one. He would always hurt me... in more than one way. I was in pain... and sore. I felt tears in my eyes as I entered my room. I went over to a drawer and opened it gripping a knife, and rolling up my sleeves. I held the knife over one my scar covered arm. I then applied pressure to the knife slitting my bone. I cried more as this happened... this method didn't even work anymore... I was so use to the pain that it didn't do anything. "I'm so tired." I mumbled and then got an idea. What if I just ended it all... not like anyone would notice. I thought for a while, but then thought of someone who would care. Dreams twin brother... Nightmare. I shook my head, "it's fine... he'll forget me eventually." I said trying convince myself. It didn't really work, but I got up anyway. I grabbed a white and black cloak, and I walked out of the castle hoping nobody would notice. Thankfully it seemed no one did. I went over to the edge of the cliff. There was a sea below.

I started to feel raindrops on my face. Great, a storm. I thought as I sat on the edge of the cliff my legs dangling off the edge. 'I guess it wouldn't hurt if sit for a while and wait to see if anyone comes' cross thought, and I had no doubt that nightmare would come since this is the place where nightmare and I would always talk when we felt down. I didn't see nightmare for weeks though. I just figured that he was busy since I see him running around the castle all the time. I've been here for just about 30 minutes. I sighed and laid down on the muddy ground. I was already soaked... it been pouring down rain for a while now. I waited about 10 minutes and just gave up on someone coming. I guess nobody really cares. I thought... I mean I couldn't blame them, but it still hurt. I got up and looked down at the sea. I then lifted a foot and pushed it over the edge... I then heard someone... "cross?" A voice asked.

Cross pulled his foot onto land quickly hoping the person didn't notice. "Cross is that you?" The voiced asked. I turned around and saw nightmare. I pulled my hood down and looked at him. "Yea... it's me." I said. Nightmare smiled at me then frowned a bit. "What were you doing?" Nightmare asked looking at cross concern visible in his eyes and tone. Cross breath got stuck for a second then started to answer. "J-just thinking." Cross replied nervously. Nightmare raised a brow, " and you need to have a foot over the edge of the cliff to do that?" Nightmare asked already knowing he wasnt here to just think. I started sweating, fuck, I thought. "Um no I guess not." I mumbled. Nightmares sighed and asked... well more like told, "ok so tell me why you are actually here." Nightmare said crossing his arms.

I looked away from him not wanting to meet his gaze. "I just want to be alone nightmare." Cross said immediately regretting using the princes real name. Nightmare seemed surprised, and slowly started walking toward him. Cross thought he was going to hurt him since that was what dream did whenever he accidentally used his real name. Cross backed away and saw nightmare suddenly freeze "cross... stop." Nightmare said shakily. Cross didn't stop though forgetting that he was on the edge of a cliff. Cross yelped not feeling land under anymore as he fell. Before he could start free falling into the water he was able to grip something. He looked up to see his hand gripped the land and he heard rushed footsteps running towards him. "Cross!" He heard nightmare yell. Cross knew he wouldn't be able to hold onto the land for long because it was so muddy because of the rain. He could already feel himself slipping. "N-nightmare!" Cross yelled having a sudden desire to live. He felt his hand slip off the land... and he closed eyes only to feel something grip his hand. He opened his eyes to see nightmare leaning over the edge of the cliff holding onto him for dear life. "C-cross! Please don't let go! God don't let go!" Nightmare yelled as tears rolled down his face.

Cross smiled, but yelped as nightmare suddenly slid forward. Cross suddenly froze as he realized something. If nightmare were to attempt to pull him up or even hold onto him for much longer he would fall off too. Nightmare's arm shook trying to hold onto him. "Cross?" He heard nightmare call his name getting cross's attention. "I'm going to pull you up ok!" Nightmare yelled... which cross could barely hear because his voice was too drained out from the wind of this damn storm. Cross eyes widened and he screamed, "no!" Nightmare looked at him in disbelief, "what do you mean no?! Your going to die if I don't pull you up!" Nightmare screamed tears forming in the corner of his eyes again. "No nightmare you can't you'll fall if you try... you got to let go!" Cross yelled. Nightmare looked at him and shook his head while saying, "What! No! I can't... I can't lose you cross!" Nightmare yelled.

Cross let go making nightmare struggle to keep a good grip on cross. "Cross! Please don't do this! Please let me pull you up!" Nightmare sobbed out. Cross smiled as he felt himself slip from nightmare grip. "Cross! No! You'll die! I can't hold on much longer! Please let me pull you up!" Nightmare pleaded tears gushing from his eyes sockets making cross give him a pained smile. "It ok! Just let go! I'm already going to die nightmare! I'm sorry!" Cross said feeling his own tears well up at the corner of his eyes. Cross then slipped from nightmare grip making him plummet to the deep sea below him. Cross felt tears escape his eyes as he screamed not wanting to die. He also heard nightmare scream for cross. Cross then closed his eyes as he hit the sea, and the water entering his nose, eyes, and mouth.

While this was happening nightmare was at the top of the cliff sobbing as he heard cross scream for help.
He then saw his friend disappear in the water making him give out wails for the other. He stayed there the rest of the night pleading to himself for his friend to come back as black goop started coming out of his eyes covering his whole body. He had hope that he would be ok... but deep down nightmare knew that cross was most likely dead. His best friend gone...

Forever...

                     ——————————————

1