***

     "Mom! Dad! You made it!" I smile brightly as I open the door for my parents to enter.
     "Of course we did. We wouldn't miss our grandbaby's birthday party." My dad answered, placing a kiss on my cheek. "Where's the birthday girl?"
     "Trying to sucker her father into opening her presents now." I say. "They're in the backyard." I motion for them to go on on ahead. The team, my grandparents and few of Mila's closest friends from preschool are already here to celebrate Mila's 'OH TWO-DOLES' Minnie Mouse birthday. My parents were the last to arrive.
     I trail along side of them, my mother slinging an arm over my shoulder while my dad carries the large pink wrapped birthday present in his hands.
     The party is in full swing just how I left it. The backyard is beautifully decorated in Minnie Mouse theme decoration with all of our family and friends together having a good time.
     Luca is by the pool holding up his phone trying to convince Street to take a selfie with him. To my right I see Chris and Mila inside the bounce house jumping up and down and Tan is with Deacon at the grill flipping burgers.
     "Everything looks amazing baby girl." My dad tells me. "What's going on guys?" He looks at Deacon and Tan.
     "Don't hate us too much when you open it." My mom says as she hands me the gift to place with the others.
     Oh Lord. It was huge.
     "We appreciate all the gifts you give the girls." Deacon says.
     "Where's my grand baby?" My dad wonders, a huge smile already on his face as he scans the backyard.
     "Bounce house." I answer.
     "Excuse me." He excuses himself and my mom gives Deacon and I an apologetic smile.
     "I'll make sure he doesn't hog her the whole time." She tells us before going after my dad.
     "I don't know whose going to fall asleep first- me or Mila." I say out loud. "I'm so tired."
     "I wonder why." He smirks at me with the silent question if I can still feel him inside him.
     Yes. Yes I can.
      "Oh I bet you do." I playfully smack him on his chest and Deacon grabs my hand to pull me close before placing a sweet kiss to my lips.
     Wow. I'm twenty-three, married to my dad's best friend, a step mom and a first time mom with Mila's arrival and I couldn't be happier.
     "Everyone! We gotta go!" My father's voice booms over the house, cutting off the exciting chatter and laughter. Standing in the center of the backyard wasn't my dad and Mila's grandpa anymore, it was Sargent Harrelson. I saw the switch my whole life but it still amazes me how he can go from playful father to no nonsense SWAT officer.
     I watch as he kneels to Mila's height and takes her tiny hands into his hands. "Pop-Pop gotta go catch the bad guys now princess. I love you." He brings her into his arms and squeezes her tightly before letting her go and directs her to my mother who he kisses briefly on the lips. "20 squad let's move!" He orders before racing out the backyard. Tan, Chris, Street and Luca all jump into action after him.
     "Great party Mya. Sorry we gotta run." Chris says in passing.
     "Save me some Cake will ya?" Street manages to flash those damn dimples at me and I can't help but smile.
     "There's a big ole slice with your name on it already."
     His dimples appear even deeper this time and he looks at my husband. "If things don't work out between you and grandpa over here, you know where to find me." He teases.
     Deacon instantly playfully pushes Street away from me. "Ha. Ha. Okay. Sorry to disappoint you but she's not going anywhere."
     "Oh, I'm not?" I raise a brow, challengingly.
     "No. You're not." He tells me sternly and heat pools between my legs at his tone and piercing gaze.
     "Good. Because I never plan to." I reassure him.
     "Yo, Deac. We gotta go." Luca says. "Great party Mya. Sorry we can't stick around." Luca kisses my cheek before jogging out of the house behind the rest of the team.
     "Eh. This is what I get for throwing a party when you're on call." I shrug. I knew it was a possibility they would have to leave in the midst of it all, but I was anal if anything about celebrating birthdays on the actual day.
     None of that day before or weekend after stuff.
     But still, it does suck that the most important people in Mila's life all just ran out the door. It's not like they didn't want to be there, they were going to go save lives, so the mama bear in me couldn't be upset.
     Without having to ask, my mom brings Mila over to us and immediately she holds out her arms for Deacon to hold her. Lilah and Victoria all crowd around us.
     "Daddy's gotta go save lives." He says. It's the same thing he always tell them. "Girls. I love you all so much." He lowers his head to kiss each of his daughters beginning with Lilah and ending with Mila.
     "Watch my husband's six and make sure you come home to my daughter and beautiful grand babies." Nichelle orders Deacon.
     "I'll do my best." He never promises. It's the one thing he can never promise me.
    "Sargent?" I call out, wrapping my arms around his neck as he turns to give me his full attention.
     "Yeah?" He places his hands on my waist and grips my hips.
     "Promise me you won't do anything that makes your heart stop beating."
     He brings one hand to my chin, and using two fingers he tilts my head towards him and leans in. "Only when we kiss Mya Kay. Only when we kiss."

The End

_________________________________

Wow! I can't believe that's the last chapter! Thank you SO MUCH for the comments and votes and all the love you've shown this story! I never imagined it would be this loved when I started writing it. 🙏🏾

Thank you for reading and coming on this journey with me!

I love you! ❤️