12. friends

Hyun Joo plays around with her fingers while looking down at her feet, avoiding eye contact with the woman sitting infront of her

"What have you been up to? Is everything going well for you?" The woman claimed to be her mother finally spoke out to her.

"Fine, I guess." Hyun Joo replies. Her mouth was so dry it was hard to speak, but she managed. She takes a sip from her drink after answering her question.

"It's good to finally here your voice" Her mother said to her. "I came here a few days ago but they said you move out" she paused before continuing, "...so where are you staying now?"

"How many years has it been?" Hyun Joo asked her back with a different question.

"Huh?" Her mother asked as she was confused.

Hyun Joo lips twisted into an unbelievable smirk. Her eyes were filling with tears and she didn't want her mother to see it.

"10, 11, 12 years? And yet not once you've tried to look for me. Why now?" Hyun Joo asked her mother.

"I did but it wasn't easy, Hyun Joo-ah..."

Hyun Joo shakes her head not believing a word she said. "You kicked me out when I was only 15 years old and at that time the only person I had was you. But then everything was just gone after that day. I had no one to rely on."

"Hyun Joo-ah, I'm sorry. I was not thinking straight that time. Please, give me a chance to be a better mother to you."

"If you have time to think about looking for your daughter, then give me time to think about giving you another chance. If you have nothing else to say, the exit is right there." Hyun Joo points towards the exit and stands up from her chair.

Her mother grabs onto her wrists to stop her from walking away. "Hyun Joo-ah, I really need you to be with me now."

"Please give me some time." Hyun Joo still hasn't call her mother 'omma'. Somehow she couldn't say it so she just went with simple replies without saying the word mother. "I just need time" she repeats as she tries to pull her hand away from her grasps.

"I'm not letting you go unless you give me a chance, Hyun Joo-ah" her mother replies with a stricter tone.

"Well, you ruined your chance 10 years ago" Hyun Joo turned to her mother finally looking straight into her eyes. "Now, let go of my hand" Hyun Joo said as she attempts to pull her hand away. Her mother tightens her grasps on Hyun Joo's wrist leaving red marks.

"Didn't you hear what she said?" Hyun Joo looks to her side when she heard a familiar voice.

-

Seo Jun was ready to leave with Hyun Joo when he saw her getting up from her seat. Seo Jun was sitting a few feet further from them, giving them time to talk to each other.