୭̥⋆*。✽ 𝐢𝐯.

february 14th, 2018
SCARLETT

ROSE WILL BE HOME SOON, which means I have to get out of bed. I throw the cover off my body and freeze as the cold air hits me. You would think that after making that mistake a billion times, you'd stop doing it but apparently no. I make my way to the kitchen, I grab some water and a snack and wait for them to come home.

Soon enough, there's a knock on the front door. I was expecting Rose to run inside as soon as open it, but instead she's standing very still, hands behind her back... hiding something.

"Hi mama." She says in a sweet innocent voice. The kind of tone she uses when she did something...

Oh my God, what has she done?

"Hi Rose." I look up at my mother who's standing behind her. She's impossible to read. I raise an eyebrow but she just shrugs.

"I have something for you."

"You do?" She nods, very excited. I don't know if I should be concerned or excited as well.

"Close your eyes." I raise an eyebrow ad she just looks pissed I didn't listen to her. She stomps her foot a couple of times when I finally decide to listen to her and actually close my eyes. It's not enough for Rose as she asks her grandmother to cover my eyes to make sure I don't see anything. I can hear ruffling, and paper and my mother chuckling.

"Open!"

Damn, this child can be bossy when she wants to be.

My mother takes her hands away, and I open my eyes to see Rose, a bouquet of flowers in her hands. She shoves it in my face and I lose my balance a little bit, falling backwards, but I don't care right now. I grab the flowers then I let Rose hug me, and we stay like this for a while. Yes yes, on the floor of our building's hallway.

"Oh Rosie they're gorgeous. Thank you!"

"The lady said they had a special meaning."

"Really? What is it?" I see my mother getting out a notebook. Did she take notes? Apparently yes.

"The white camellias, they represent the love between a mother and a daughter and the pink ones symbolize the love for someone and perfection."

"Because you're perfect mama. Happy..."

"Valentine's Day." Her grandma whispers.

"Happy Valentine's Day!" I can't hold back my tears any more, and I just let them fall.

"Don't cry mama, don't be sad." Rose tries to wipe my teas with her little hands. She poked my eyes a few times.

"I'm not sad, they're happy tears because I'm so lucky to have you with me." The tears finally stop falling, and I just occasionally sniffle or wipe my nose with my sleeve even though I constantly tell Rose not to do that and earn a glare from my mother standing above us.

Oops?

"How did you know it was Valentine's Day?" I ask. I haven't told her about, so it was probably my mother. She probably overheard someone talking about it and asked. This kiddo is curious and wants to know everything.

"Grandma told me. It's a day of sharing love for all people. Some people buy flowers or chocolate, and we got flowers because I love you mama."

"I love you too Rosie." I hear someone clearing their throat behind us.

"And you mom."

I stand up with Rose wrapped around my body and the flowers in hand. We walk into our flat and Rose wiggles to be put as soon as we enter the leaving when she sees her toys still on the ground from this morning. I probably should've had put them away, but we all need a moment. I set the flowers down on the dining table , and we talk for a bit, but I know my mother can't stay very long. We just briefly catch up on some things, telling me what they did today like the park, the zoo, Rose being weirdly obsessed over penguins, and the flower shop. She asked me how I was doing, I replied. I've been better , but surprisingly it isn't my worst Valentine's Day. Eventually, my mother leaves, and I'm left alone with Rose again. I look for a vase while my little girl is still busy playing with her toys on the carpeted floor, her dolls flying around as they travel through space I believe.