chapter twenty three

Ariana's Pov

Tonight was officially the day of our album release party and everyone was excited. They already knew we'd be touring together since Kai and I decided to just go live and share the news, to override the Dua situation. And honestly, it worked. It was a way of letting everyone know we were still together and unfazed by the video, without publicly addressing it.

I knew she felt bad about it all, so she'd been working hard on making sure I stayed happy as tonight approached. It was being hosted at a venue in downtown LA, with Scooter in control of the invitations. I think even a few fans who bought merch would receive them too.

Even though a prom didn't essentially go with the album, it did with some of the songs on our separate albums "motive" and "Sweetener" so that was the theme of our party. We thought it would be cute since our prom experiences weren't the greatest. The way the invitations were set up, they either said, "Will you go to prom with me?" or "PROM?" depending on the one that was mailed to you. You didn't necessarily need a date, but it was cute seeing all of our friends, some were even married, asking their partners to go to our "Prom" event. Some even created posters and all.

Of course, knowing my girlfriend, she went all out for the entire event. I just remembered coming home one day after like a day of meetings, and the lights are off, and I'm walking through the house into our backyard and I just see candles and rose petals all over, as our friends shout, "Prom?" While Kai's in the middle of them all, with a smile on her face, holding a sign that says it as well. It was obvious by the flowers, smiles, and mini picture of us that she got help from Mal on it.

I think a few of my friends got it all on camera, but I asked her to "prom" a couple of days later as well. It was like four a.m., and the day before, I asked Justin to help with it, so she literally woke up to some loud ass speaker connected to Justin's microphone outside her window saying, "If I was your boyfriend, I'd never let you go". She still won't admit mine was better, but of course, she said yes. And if you thought four a.m. was harsh, Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds's prom-posals were crazy. Mason even asked Lia during a halftime show.

But it was still a few hours until the event started, so I was busy getting hair and makeup done while Kai was out for a final fitting.

I decided on finally letting my hair down, which I thought better fit my dress. We decided on blue a few days ago for some reason and stuck with it. We had yet to see each other's outfits, so I was especially excited about that too.

I wasn't officially ready until about 9:30, so we had about thirty minutes to get there before it started. At around 9:45, I go to go open the door, and she was there, holding flowers in her hand.

"I'm sorry I'm late, someone got my measurements mixed up so they had to start all over again when I came. But hey baby, you look beautiful." Kai smiled, seemingly out of breath as she handed me the flowers.

"Thank you, my love, you look amazing and these are so pretty." I blushed, with a smile, grabbing them from her hands and going to go place them in a vase. "You're okay though, I just now finished getting ready too, but we should leave now, shouldn't we?"

"Yep, we have ten minutes." She chuckled, looking at her watch. "After you,"

We pulled up at exactly 10:15, and people were already walking down the carpet, snapping pictures. Outside got much louder, when they realized that we had finally pulled up.

Kai took a peek out of the windows, before turning back to me. "I'm kinda nervous, shit. You ready?"

"I am," I giggled, as the car came to a halt. "We're gonna have an amazing ass time tonight, with our friends and family celebrating us."

"Cheers to us, tonight then?"

"Mhm." I laughed, just as she placed a kiss on my cheek, as one of the security opened her side's car door.

She stepped out, as cameras started to flash even more and everyone got louder. I could hear her laugh as she stuck her hand inside the car for me to hold onto, as I got out.

Although this dress had a long run, I was easily able to slip out of the car, and stand right by her side as we were directed to walk along the carpet.

Signs detailing our event were posted everywhere, and the background was just a collage of prom posters as well. I could see a few of my friends arriving as well, with their "prom dates" and I was over the moon.

We took as many pictures as we could before we both decided to finally step into our event, although we remained holding hands the entire time.

"Ahh, oh my god, you both look so hot!" Frankie cheered, as soon as we walked in.

"Oh Frankie, hey," She smiled, embracing him in a hug.

"Thank you, Frankie, where's your date?" I smirked, knowing he had been telling me about him for the past couple of months now.

"He just went to the bathroom actually, hopefully, you guys get to see him and we can take pictures."

"Yeah, I would love that,"

"Oh, and while everyone's been waiting on you to come, a lot of other people came too," Frankie whispered, peering over his shoulder as the music continued to play, and people entered in and out of the building. "Ryan and Blake are here, so is Nicki, Bella Hadid, Adele even came, Tyler, Katy, Normani, oh Demi's here, a lot of the Kardashians, Harry, that's not even a quarter of the people. I heard Camila and Shawn are coming later as prom dates and Ricky and Dua are supposed to be coming as well."

Before either of us could even process his words, or get anything out, Courtney walks over to us, with a drink in her hand.

"Guys, I can't believe I just thought Madison Beer was Ariana. I literally walked up to her and asked where was Kai and she turns around and looked at me. I've literally never felt so embarrassed, well except for that time I was drunk and— never mind."