chapter seventeen (edited)

(a/n: i recommend re-reading😭 i dont even remember what's happening in this book)

Kai's Pov

"So Pete, what do you do for work?" Tessa asked, breaking the table's silence. While Pete played with his straw, Ariana and I kept stealing glances from across the table. The two of us were having a great time, ignoring the awkwardness between our partners.

"Oh, I work for SNL. I come up with sketches for skits, even though they're never fucking used," Pete joked, causing Tessa to let out a light laugh. "You?"

"Well, I work mainly for a modeling agency but I have a few other jobs."

"You're a model?" Ariana said.

Tess shrugged, with a small chuckle. "I guess you could say that,"

"Babe, stop being modest, she's a model." I smiled, knowing that in reality, all she did was brag about her career.

"I'm surprised you never told them. As much as you talk about Ariana, I figured you would talk about me too." Tessa mumbled, elbowing me slightly.

"S—She does!" Ariana replied, "...she uh, she talks about how much she loves you."

Tessa looked at me and I've never wanted to slam my head on the table more than I did now. Tessa and I agreed on going on a break before this, so even though we weren't technically together, she was probably gonna cry about this.

Her eyes softened. "You love me?"

"...uh, I mean—"

"—Kai could you help me adjust my dress?" Ariana interjected, realizing what was going on. Judging by her dress being fine, I knew she was trying to save me from Tessa.

"-Yes! The bathroom is over there." I said quickly, getting up from the table. "I'll be back, Tess,"

"Mhm,"

"Fine with me," Pete added, with a smile.

Ariana and I both walked over to the restrooms, and instead of going into the women's one, we decided on the family bathroom since it was more private. As Ariana locked the door, I adjusted my button-up.

"Do you love her?" Ariana asked, catching me off guard.

"Honestly?" I turned towards her. "I don't think I do, otherwise, I would've known by now."

"So why still be with her?"

"I dunno, I don't wanna leave her." I shrugged, considering I never really talked about it.

"But aren't you just leading her on?"

"Aren't you leading Pete on?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" She scoffed, folding her arms.

"Either you're leading him on or our hookups meant nothing."

"It was just sex to me." Ariana spat quickly, as the tension between us started to grow, "I love Pete and he's worth more than just that."

I laughed sarcastically, "Oh, so I'm just useless sex?"

"No, you aren't but our hookups were nothing more than meaningless to me."

"Really?" I challenged, raising an eyebrow. "Does Pete know how I had you all over the counters? The couches, the movie room, the shower, your bed. Does he genuinely know how you like it?" I chuckled, watching Ariana gulp as I suddenly gained confidence.

"P—Pete does it how I like it." She stuttered, with her breath hitching. "Maybe even better than you did because the dick is amazing."