Chapter 38: The Picnic

Two weeks later...

Camila walked out into the den to find Lauren at work on her laptop. She yawned and grabbed a cup of coffee and sat at the table across from her girlfriend.

"Lo, it's Saturday morning, are you working?" Camila asked sleepily.

"I have a couple of things to get taken care of," Lauren answered, "I wanted to start early so that I don't spend the day on it."

"It's a beautiful day, maybe we could take a ride and have a picnic," Camila said, looking out the window.

"A picnic?" Lauren asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, why are you acting like that's weird?" Camila asked, grinning.

"Because we never go on picnics," Camila answered wryly, "But it sounds nice."

"I thought it'd be fun," Camila said, "Taking a drive, being outside."

"I have about an hour more of work," Lauren said.

"I'll go to Joe's deli and get everything we need," Camila said, standing up.

"Okay, darling," Lauren said, getting back to work.

Camila put on some shorts and a t-shirt and her sandals and headed to their favorite deli. She immediately grabbed Lauren's favorite chicken salad along with some cut up fruit and cheese and salami. She grabbed a loaf of fresh baked French bread and two bottles of sparkling water and decided that would make for a perfect picnic. She got up to the register and said a friendly hello to the deli owner. She and Lauren were regulars and Joe gave her a big smile.

"Good morning, Camila," Joe said.

"Hey, Joe," Camila said, "We're headed on a picnic. Do you think I've forgotten anything?"

"Do you have a picnic basket?" Joe asked.

"No, I figured I'd just leave it all in the bag," Camila said.

"That won't do," Joe said fussily, "Hang on."

He walked into the back and came out with an insulated basket. He carefully placed ice in the bottom and packed up all of the items.

"Bring it back next time you come," Joe said, "I keep it on hand for my regulars."

"Really?" Camila asked happily, "Thanks, Joe!"

"And you forgot dessert," Joe said, "But I can't help you with that."

"I'll stop by Noonan's and grab something," Camila answered, paying her bill.

She walked out with the basket in hand and stopped at Noonan's. She got an assortment of donut holes and a few strawberries dipped in chocolate and headed home. When she got inside she was happy to find Lauren in shorts and a t-shirt, ready to go.

"Awesome!" Camila said, smiling at Lauren, "Let me grab my purse and we'll go."

"Where did you get the basket?" Lauren asked, clearly impressed by Camila's picnic equipment.

"Joe loaned it to me," Camila said.

"He's so sweet," Lauren answered, grinning, "I'm really looking forward to this."

They both grabbed their purses and headed to the garage. Camila insisted on driving because she had decided on a place to picnic and wanted to surprise Lauren.

"Is it far?" Lauren asked as they pulled from the garage.

"It's a little ride," Camila said, "But it's scenic – why?"