Chapter 4: Moving toward a decision

Camila left LJM Records with a skip in her step. The meeting with Lauren had left her with a feeling of warmth and satisfaction. Just a few days ago she had no idea how to move her career forward. Today she had two offers in hand. She quickly texted Sofi that Lauren had offered her a contract as well. She would bring both to John's office straight away so that he could look them over. She asked if Sofi would meet her for dinner so that they could talk about the interview at LJM Records. The three bubbles on her phone appeared right away as Sofi set a time and place for dinner and made sure it was okay for Kelly to come along. Camila gave a thumbs up and headed toward John's office.

After dropping off the contracts Camila still had plenty of time to kill before dinner. She was near the riverfront and she decided to take a stroll. She sat on a bench and people watched for a while. She noticed quite a few couples walk by and she smiled as she noticed two girls with National University sweatshirts leaning on the railing overlooking the river. One girl cautiously took the hand of the other and leaned in for a short, sweet kiss. Even from her perch nearly half a block away, Camila could see the blush and the smile on the other girl as they parted. Camila felt a warmth in her chest then she felt a tightness. She sat in thought for a few moments then pulled out her phone and ordered an Uber to Syco Entertainment.

Camila walked into the building determined but much less confident than when she got into the Uber at the riverfront. She walked to the receptionist and gave her a smile.

"I'd like to see Simon Cowell," Camila said politely.

"Do you have an appointment?" he asked, looking a bit perturbed.

"No, but if you could tell him Camila Cabello is here," she said, "He told me I could talk to him more this week."

"Hold on," the receptionist said. He picked up his phone and talked in hush tones then asked Camila to sit down and wait.

Camila waited almost fifteen minutes and was beginning to get antsy when Veronica Sinclair walked into the waiting area.

"Camila, please come with me," she said, her voice clipped. She turned and headed back down the hall and Camila almost had to jog to catch up to her. "Mr. Cowell will see you today but he does not accept walk-ins. If you want to see him you should contact our office and I will let you know when to come in."

"Oh, okay," Camila said, remembering immediately how much the woman irritated her in their first meeting.

Veronica opened the door to Simon Cowell's office and Camila walked in. Simon stood from his chair with a smile and motioned for Camila to come in and sit down. Camila sat in a chair across the enormous, imposing desk. Veronica shut the door and he looked at Camila.

"Well, isn't this a nice surprise," he said happily, "I hope you're here because you signed that contract and you're ready to start."

"Oh, well, no," Camila said, watching Simon's face change immediately to a more businesslike grimace.

"Then what can I do for you?" he asked.

"I thought there was something we should discuss before I move ahead," Camila said, "To get it out in the open now."

"Go ahead," he said, sitting back in his chair.

"I'm gay, Mr. Cowell," Kara said, "And I don't want to have to hide it. I'm not dating anyone now but I don't want to have to pretend to be straight. I'm worried that if I sign your contract I won't be able to be the person I want to be."

"Ms. Cabello, I would never tell you who to be," he said, his voice intending to sound genuine, "But we will find the best image to project to get your music heard by as many people as we can. Isn't that your goal?"