Chapter 17: here for you

Lauren felt Camila shift next to her.  She opened her eyes and heard Camila mumbling in her sleep.  It was clear Camila was having a dream and as Lauren became more alert she realized it was a nightmare. Camila was tossing and even though her words were incoherent her voice sounded full of dread.  Lauren clutched Camila's arms gently.

"Camz, wake up," Lauren said, rubbing her arm softly.

"No, no, no," Camila mumbled, bringing both her arms up to her chest.

"Camz, dear, please wake up," Lauren said more loudly, sitting up a bit and tapping her arm.

Camila's eyes opened wide and it took a moment for her to find her bearings.  She was breathing shallowly and her eyes were wet with tears.

"I'm here, Camz," Lena said, gently rubbing Camila's shoulder, "You were dreaming. It's okay."

Camila took a deep breath and then pulled Lauren tightly into her body.  Lauren was surprised by Camila's frantic embrace but she quickly wrapped her arms around her and held her tightly. She felt Camila relax slightly as she breathed heavily into Lauren's neck and kept her close.

"Shhh," Lauren whispered, rubbing Camila's back softly, "I've got you."

After a couple of minutes, Camila moved back slightly, "I'm sorry. I get nightmares sometimes."

"It was a crazy day," Lauren said gently, "A lot of changes. I understand if you're stressed."

"Last time I had to move quickly was the day my parents died," Camila whispered.

"Oh, Camz, I'm so sorry," Lauren said, pulling back and meeting her eyes, "What can I do, darling?"

"Just what you're doing," Camila said quietly, "Be here with me. You make me feel safe."

"I'm here," Lauren said, clutching Camila firmly, "I'm not going anywhere. I want you here with me as long as you want to stay."

"Really?" Camila asked, leaning back and looking at Lauren.

"Yes, really," Lauren answered. She shook her head and leaned in and kissed Camila, letting their lips linger together for a few moments before pulling back. "I love you, Camz."

Camila moved her hand up and softly rubbed Lauren's cheek, "I love you too, Lo."

They cuddled into one another and held each other tightly until they both fell back to sleep.

When morning light came through the window Lauren awoke to find Camila still cuddled into her body.  She thought back to the middle of the night and remembered telling Camila that she loved her.  She wasn't sure if it really happened or if it was just a dream.