Chapter 9: The wrap party

Normani was the first one to start clapping in the studio when the last song was finished. It was nearly midnight on Friday and they were all happy and exhausted. Lauren gathered the group together and thanked everyone individually.

"And I hope to see you all tomorrow at the rooftop at seven," Lauren said to the group.

"You know we never miss a wrap party," Mike said smiling.

"Free booze, free food, what's not to love?" Louis said.

Everyone started gathering their things and walking toward the lobby. Camila pulled out her phone.

"Don't you dare order an Uber at this hour by yourself," Lauren said, "I'll take you home."

"Lauren, it's really fine," Camila huffed out, embarrassed and wishing desperately that she had her own car.

"I'm driving you and I won't hear anything else," Lauren said, pulling the door closed behind them and locking up.

They got into her car and Lauren pulled out onto the road.

"So, who are you bringing tomorrow night?" Lauren asked.

"Well, Sofi and Kelly, of course," Camila said, "And my parents, Sinu and Alejandro, are driving in from Alta Vista. They're so excited it's ridiculous. And then my three best friends, Dinah, Harry and Niall."  Camila was grinning widely with anticipation.

"Sounds like quite a group," Lauren said happily.

"Oh, it's not too many people, is it?" Camila asked, concerned.

"By no means, Camila," Lauren said, "It barely rates as an entourage."

Camila chuckled, "I'm going to tell them you said that."

"I've had artists show up with fifty people at wrap parties," Lauren said chuckling.

"Then I don't feel bad at all," Camila said, giggling, "What about you? Do you invite any friends?"

"Yes, my two closest friends Sam and Jack always come to wrap parties," Lauren said, "They are really more like family.  We've all been best friends since college. And, much to my surprise, my mother called yesterday and said she'd be in town so she's coming as well."

"Are you happy about that?" Camila asked, her voice unsure.

"I guess so, our relationship is complicated," Lauren said quietly.

Camila sat quietly, not sure what to say. Lauren took a deep breath then continued.

"I told you I was adopted," Lauren said, "What I didn't tell you – and what most people don't know - is that Mike Jauregui was actually my biological father. He had an affair with my birth mother while he was married to Clara. When my mother died they came and got me. I didn't find out the truth until much later. Clara never treated me badly but she clearly favored Chris."

"Wait, who's Chris?" Camila asked, confused.

"Chris is my half-brother," Lauren said, "Mike and Clara's son.  He's six years older than me."

"Oh, okay," Camila said, trying to get it all straight in her head.

"Anyway, Clara did the decent thing raising me but she wasn't exactly maternal toward me," Lauren said, "And after my dad died she was stuck with me on her own for two years until I went to college."

"Gosh, that must have been hard for you," Camila said softly.

"It wasn't terrible, like I said, she was never mean to me and I think she did her best but it's a peculiar relationship between the two of us," Lauren said, "I think she loves me in her own way and she wants what's best for me but she doesn't seem to love me in the way a mother should love her child."