Chapter 21: The gala, part 1

Kelly and Lauren sat comfortably in their long gowns in Lauren's den, sipping champagne and waiting for Sofi to help Camila finish getting ready in the spare bedroom. Camila wanted to look perfect for her first public night out with Lauren and was fussing endlessly over her hair and makeup.

"Thanks for inviting us, Lauren," Kelly said, "We don't usually get to be this fancy. I feel like I'm going to prom."

"I'm glad you guys could make it," Lauren answered, chuckling, "LJM buys a table every year and we had plenty of room, plus Camila is a nervous wreck about the whole thing so I'm glad for the support."

"Sofi will talk her down," Kelly said, "She's not used to so much attention."

"No one is, that's why fame ruins so many people," Lauren sighed, "Although I'm determined to make sure Camila has the support she needs – like having you guys around as much as possible."

"What about you?" Kelly asked, "This affects you personally too."

"I'm in the background, it's not the same," Lauren said, "And I'm much more accustomed to all of the trappings of the industry."

"So, who else is coming tonight?" Kelly asked, "Anyone we've met before?"

"Yes, Sam and Jack will be at our table," Lauren said, smiling, "They are a hoot. And Normani and Mike are coming with dates.  That'll round out the LJM group. The gala is usually swimming with industry people though. I'm sure you'll see some singers and bands you recognize."

The door to the bedroom opened and Sofi walked out, looking a bit irritated.  She was wearing a long, tight red lacy dress with a slit all the way up her thigh.  She strode to the den and grabbed Kelly's champagne and downed the glass.

"I can pour you one of your own," Lauren said, smirking.

"Your girlfriend is driving me crazy," Sofi said, shaking her head, "I think she's finally coming out now. I don't know how one person can preen so much."

Camila walked from the bedroom and stopped short as Lauren stood up to greet her.  Lauren was wearing a black, off the shoulder gown which hugged her hips and let enough of her chest show to be very interesting. Kara's eyes raked up and down Lena's body as she walked toward her. Lauren was ogling Camila just as closely as she approached. Camila was wearing a fitted black tuxedo with silk lapels. She had no shirt on underneath her jacket. Her hair was down in long, soft waves and she looked taller than usual in her high stiletto black pumps.

"Wow," Camila said softly as she approached Lauren. "You are so beautiful."

"And you are absolutely stunning," Lauren said softly, reaching out and softly rubbing the lapel of Camila's jacket.

"Okay, I can't watch this," Sofi said, "Where's the champagne bottle?"

Lauren laughed and Camila rolled her eyes at her sister.

"The limo is waiting downstairs and there's more champagne in there for us," Lauren said, "We really should get going."

"You guys go ahead," Camila said, "I'll be right behind you."

"I can wait..." Lauren said.

"No, go, I have one thing to do and I'll be right down," Camila interrupted, waving her hands to get them to leave.

The three women made their way to the lobby and waited there.  Camila quickly ran back to her room and grabbed the bag of rose petals she had pulled earlier.  She went into Lauren's room and spread them on the bed.  She slid another bag under the bed in case she decided to use what was inside later that night.  She quickly made her way to the elevator and met everyone in the lobby.  They walked to the limo and all slid in and got comfortable.  Lauren poured four glasses of champagne then told the driver they were ready to go. She pushed a button to close the divider and give them privacy.