Chapter 24: NYC

The voice over the intercom startled Camila from her sleep. It took her a moment to realize where she was, cuddled into Lauren's shoulder in the first-class cabin of an airplane apparently about to land in New York City. Lauren closed her laptop and slid it into the chic leather backpack she had brought along for the travel. She turned and looked at Camila.

"I can't believe you slept the whole flight," Lauren said, smiling softly.

"I can sleep anywhere," Camila answered, grinning, "Drives Sofi crazy."

The plane landed and the women stood and walked out into the concourse. Lauren looked around until she spotted a man dressed in a chauffer's uniform holding up a sign with her name. They went together to the baggage area and made their way to the waiting black car once the bags arrived. They sat in the back and Lauren grabbed one of the bottles of water and took a sip. The driver pulled the car into traffic and they headed toward midtown Manhattan.

"Okay, now I feel like a rock star," Camila said giddily, making Lauren laugh. "I guess you're used to this."

"On the contrary," Lauren said, "This is the first time I've been a part of this. I don't usually leave LJM to accompany artists to talk show appearances."

"So you're saying I'm special?" Camila teased.

"It was only your insistent begging that got me here," Lauren answered, giggling.

"But aren't you glad you came now that we're here?" Camila asked, placing her hand on Lauren's thigh precariously close to her groin.

Lauren slapped away her hand, laughing loudly. Camila was laughing along when Lauren pointed out the window.

"Look," Lauren said.

The Manhattan skyline came into view and they both were happy to ride quietly, looking out the window at the view. The flight landed early in the afternoon and they were able to beat most of the traffic into the city. They pulled up at the Ritz Carlton across from Central Park.

"We're staying here?" Camila asked, eyes wide.

"Yes, darling," Lauren said, stepping out as the driver opened the door.

Lauren gave her name to the bellman and he nodded and led them inside. They walked to the desk and the bellman leaned over and talked to the woman waiting behind the computer. She nodded and pulled out an envelope with two keycards and a second envelope with Lauren's name on it. She handed both to Lauren.

"Good afternoon, Ms. Jauregui, Ms. Cabello," she said politely, "Welcome to the Ritz Carlton Central Park. We have your suite ready. Frank will take you and your bags up. Is there anything else I can get for you?"

"No, thank you," Lauren answered politely.

They stepped into the elevator and Frank pushed the button for the 20th floor. He led them to their room and waited as Lauren pulled out one of the keys and opened the door. They walked in and Frank placed the bags in the bedroom. Lauren gave him a generous tip and he thanked her as he left. Camila walked around the suite, her mouth agape. She finally stood at the window and gazed out at the view of Central Park and the buildings that surrounded it.

"This is amazing," Camila said, turning to Lauren, "This room is bigger than my apartment was. There are two bathrooms! And this view!"

Lauren smiled from ear to ear, "What can I say? I splurged."

"Yeah, you did," Camila said, grabbing Lauren and pulling her in for a kiss.

Lauren pulled back and smiled at Camila and walked over to a table where a bottle of champagne was waiting along with a tray of chocolate covered strawberries. She grabbed a strawberry and took a bite, raising her eyebrow at Camila and making her giggle.