Chapter 35: Grammys Part 2

Camila made her way through the interviews on the red carpet. Usually the host would ask a couple of questions before turning their attention to Lauren who would then step forward. Each time Camila immediately took her hand and smiled brightly.  Between interviews they were able to chat with a few musicians lingering along the red carpet.  Camila was relieved by how many people Lauren knew, making it much easier and less awkward to talk.  She also lit up when she saw Taylor Swift waving wildly then approaching for a big hug. By the time they got inside and made it to their seats she had lost some of her nervous energy.

"We have really good seats," Camila said, seemingly confused that they were only a few rows from the front.  Lauren looked at her and chuckled.

"You do know you're up for three awards, right?" Lauren teased, "Plus you have to perform."

"I should have had more champagne," Camila groaned.

"Just remember, no matter what happens I adore you," Lauren answered, looking tenderly at Camila.

The seats were filling all around them. Billie Eilish gave a thumbs up before sitting right in front of them.  Lizzo was across the aisle.  Taylor Swift was at the other end of their row.  Beyonce and Jay-Z were in the front row next to Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani. Camila felt like her head was on a swivel looking at all the stars.

The lights dimmed and the show began.  The crowd went wild as Lil Wayne and Kesha performed together. The audience was on their feet as the song ended and the show began. Camila watched nervously as musical acts were interspersed with awards. Best Pop Solo Award and Best Country Duo/Group Performance were awarded. The lights came up for a commercial and Camila accompanied an usher backstage then immediately onto a set behind a curtain.  There were two pianos set across from one another so that the benches were nearly touching in between. Taylor Swift came around the other end of the stage and they both took a seat.  The lights came back on and the women listened as the award for Best Comedy Album was handed out.

"Ready?" Taylor whispered to Camila with a grin.

"Yep," Camila answered quietly, smiling.

They heard their introductions and the curtain rose on their set.  The audience was cheering and they waited until a green light gave them the signal to start.  Taylor had requested that they perform together and they had arranged a performance where they intertwined two of their songs.  It had been tricky at first but in the end they both loved the sound.

Camila began with the first couple of the notes and the crowd settled into quiet.  Taylor joined in on her piano.  Her lyrics came first and she began to sing.  Midway through the first verse Camila began singing the lyrics to her song, harmonizing with Taylor as she continued.  The audience stayed completely silent as the women's voices melded beautifully together.  As the arrangement hit its crescendo Taylor sang a long, high note, matched by Camila's deeper, throaty wail in perfect pitch.  The audience went absolutely crazy as they both held their tone perfectly.  The song came to an end and they were greeted with a standing ovation.  Camila took a deep breath, relieved to be done.

The lights went down on their portion of the stage and they exchanged a quick hug.  They waited for the lights to come up for a commercial and began walking back out to the seating area.

"Good luck, Camila," Taylor said as they parted and headed back to their seats.

"Thanks," Camila answered happily, giving her a wave.

Camila hurried to her place and sat down and Lauren took her hand.

"That was absolutely amazing," Lauren said, "I hope you could hear what people were saying when you two hit the big note.  I had goosebumps all over."