Don't stare. (67)

I had come to the conclusion that my father had lost the plot.

I mean could you blame me?

He spouted out nonsense about beauty in being a serial killer psychopath, that's some ted Bundy shit.

So I snorted under my breath, I had to find humour in it, or I might just cry and if I was honest I had already cried too much.

It was a tragic thing, looking up at the scratched out face of the man I had once looked up to more than anyone else in the world. I had dreamed a lot of finally meeting my old man, but not even in my worst nightmares could I have imagined this, I squinted trying to shake off the scribbling in my vision that hovered over his face, but it stayed there shielding me from the memories maybe.

I had never experienced anything like it, I knew it was my father, he sounded like him, felt like him and for the split second I saw his face looked like him, but no my eyes refuse to let me see it one more time.

"Dad, you need to let me go."

"Im afraid I can't do that Jess, your a smart girl, you know that."

"I'll never forgive you if you keep me and my friends here." I hissed hugging my knees tightly, I still couldn't breathe and each minute I was locked up in this room with him made it harder.

But at my words he tensed, his fists clenching. Suddenly the warmth and kindness he seemed to show towards me were extinguished and the room fell cold around us.

"You would do well to remember that it is only because of me that your friends are even alive-"

"Alive? Gray almost killed Lucas I'm not even God damn sure he is alive."

Bruno huffed before he ran his hands through his salt and peppered hair taking a deep breath. "God damn it, Gray." He groaned under his breath before looking back up at me. "Gray is in line to be the Boss, at this point he's old enough to take it whenever he wants since it's his by blood and me and Angelo are only in charge while the spot waits for him so I can't control him, I can ask him to do things but, that doesn't mean he has to do them. I really am sorry about that."

"Don't be, it's done now."

"Did he," He paused for a second as he fiddled with his fingers like a panicked child. "Did he hurt you?"

My mind raced, it raced to the knife Rebecca had dug into my chest, it raced to how I hung by chains and screamed and cried, it raced to when Gray slammed me against the wall and threatened me, but then it raced to me hitting him, over and over again.

"No."

Bruno nodded and we sat in silence for a moment before Bruno reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone, "I think we should continue this another day when you feel a bit better." He texted someone on his phone as we sat in an awful silence and then after what felt like decades, there was a knock on the door.

It was Hunter, he wore that suddenly familiar irritated face that he had shown lately, it's strange how quickly you can see somebody in a different light. when his eyes locked on me though I realised something I hadn't.

I was a mess, I sat curled up on a chair, hugging my legs with shaky hands, I wondered if he could see the way my blood thrashed through me like acid, the way my throat was so tight I thought I might suffocate.

His mouth went straight as his bright eyes flickered over to Bruno, they seemed dark though at that moment, especially when his fists clenched. He bit down on his cheek and crouched down to me. "Let's get out of here Jess."

I nodded and stood up slowly, blood rushed to my head but I blinked it away and Hunter's hand rested gently on my back as he guided me out, I didn't dare look at my father's scribbled out face as I left.