Ironic. (74)

"Glad you came to your senses, love." A voice said smugly from the end of the room before walking over to me and holding out the knife once again.

This time, I took it.

My hands shook a little as I held it in my hands. I knew what it could do. I knew what I could do.

I didn't look back at Gray. I didn't want to see the smug look on his face as he saw I was doing exactly what he wanted. As I was falling right into his trap.

but I have to fall first to win.

That's what I told myself as I walked up to Max.

I tried to comfort him with the look in my eyes. But I knew deep down what I would do if I had to as I put my hand on his cheek, I tried to be strong to make sure my eyes didn't water, but they stung regardless.

"Max, where are Liam and Jack?" I whispered softly looking into his deep brown eyes, they were beautiful, kind and gentle. But he just shook his head.

"You know I can't tell you, Jess."

Even though the words did not comfort me. His voice did. I hadn't heard it in such a long time. He was the first friendly face I had seen in days, it was as warm and welcoming as the day I met him.

"Please." I whimpered as my arms began to grow numb, my skin burning.

"You have to kill me." He whispered the words like venom in his mouth, his expression fading.

"What?" I asked confused as his eyes flickered over behind me and I looked back. Gray was watching us.

"He wants you to torture me not kill me. If I'm dead they can't force information out of me and you can just blame it on poor experience."  I could tell He hated every word that came out of his mouth but he said it anyway.

"What? No! I won't-"

"Why?! So you won't have to feel guilty about murdering someone while I stay in pain for the people I care about? Just so you can sleep at night? Just so you don't have to feel bad?!" He hissed as the warmth left his eyes exposing the panicked terrified man in front of me.

"Maybe I am being selfish," I mumbled. "But I won't let you die." I pulled myself together. One day he would thank me, they all would.

I'm helping him because I love him I love all of them, there my family and I'll save them. I'll save them all.

So just like that, I rested the knife against his stomach and his eyes filled with hatred as he saw what I was about to do to my own friend.

"Tell me." I swallowed down my compassion. No matter how awful this was I was helping him.

"No." He growled despite the screaming in my head and I pushed the blade through his skin feeling the blood rush out of it. His mouth opened in pain as I stared him straight in the face.

"He's tough your gonna have to do more than that love," Gray shouted and I dug further pushing and pushing as he yelled in pain.

"Tell me, Max!" I shouted grabbing his head so he looked me in the eyes.

"Keep going, you'll kill me." He laughed breathlessly and I panicked pulling the knife out of him and dropping his head.

His blood dripped from the knife in my hand and he hung there in pain.

"Why did you stop?" Gray asked walking up to me.

"What if I kill him?" I mumbled.

"Oh don't worry you won't these lot are made of steel. There is a reason I picked him, he's by far the strongest he can take a good beating. Just don't go through any important organs and you'll be fine."