Red for your fiery heart. (52)

When I got home I felt like a zombie. Any energy I had was drained from crying or shouting.

After I talked to Leo I avoided both of them. Lucas too. I Told Emily everything, She was the one person who never let me down.

I was just glad to be back. Even if it was Lucas's apartment I somehow felt away from it all laying there listening to music like I used when I lived with my mum. But it wasn't depressing music anymore.

The only way I could describe it was, deep music, something that made me feel like I was dreaming. Where I could just imagine anything I wanted while I laid there and listened.

The problem is nothing good lasts forever.

There was a hesitant knock at the door.

"Jess?" A husky voice asked softly as if they were treading on eggshells it was a smooth voice I would recognize anywhere.

"Hunter?"

" I need to talk to you." His voice was wary behind the door like he was about to enter a war zone. "I'm coming in." He stated before the door opened, there he was standing in the doorway, hand firmly clenching the door handle making his muscles flex. His face stiff and stressed.

"What's up?" I smiled taking my earphones out and sitting up on my bed.

That's when I noticed a massive black box in his hand tied up with a white ribbon around it, he walked up to me cautiously before handing it to me. "Here." He smiled.

"What is it?"

"It's from Lucas." He swallowed and my face grew tight, I put it down on my bed, not wanting to touch it now.

"And where is he? Why hasn't he come to give it to me himself?" I can't help the rude tone that escaped my voice, the thought of him began to make my blood boil, something I wasn't really used to.

"He's busy."

Too busy to care to fix things with me? Ouch.

"So he sent you to do his dirty work? What a kind soul." I rolled my eyes dropping back down on my bed and Hunter sat next to me.

"Yeah well he's a dick, but I mean I'm asking this not him so you have to hear me out." He pleaded. Giving my puppy dog eyes which softened me a little.

"Fine what is it?" I smile trying to be nicer, I knew it wasn't Hunter I should be mad at. He shouldn't have to get caught up in the crossfire.

"There is a máskarade ball tonight, the mafia are throwing it for all their important business partners, and Angelo Bruno, the leader is going to be there, since no one will see his face he is making an appearance, it's a chance we won't get again, there will be a limo waiting for you outside at 10:30."

The ends of my mouth tugged a little. "And I suppose Lucas is planning on catching him?"

"Well, that's a bit risky since there will be dozens of crime lords but-"

"But if I caught him first I could beat Lucas at his own game." I cut Hunter off as a plan began to form in my head. I had never been someone driven by revenge or spite, but Lucas had ignited something in me, if he could control what happens in my life, I can control what happens in his.

"What?-" Hunter's face was alarmed but I quickly cut him off again.

"And then he would have to admit that I am better at what he does than he is." I liked the taste of the words in my mouth, the idea of being ahead of Lucas, being better than him. Beating him at his own game.

"Jess hold up-"

"That's all I need to know thank you, Hunter." I smile jumping up from my bed.

"Jess you know I care about you and that's why im telling you now, you're going to get yourself hurt if you do things without us." Suddenly Hunter was tense, harsh, a little drier than normal. Maybe it offended him. Or maybe he really did care.