Bluffing. (83)

"Oh come on! Is no one at least a little bit curious? I mean, knowing him personally, I can tell you that man has MAJOR trust issues, so why would he trust you?" He said you like it was an insult like the word was disgusting as he held his hands out wide.

"Why don't you worry about keeping yourself alive by showing us the way Hunter," Max mumbled and the boys looked to him, shocked that out of all of them he had been the one to defend me, that despite his weak state, he pulled his strength together for me.

But no one was as shocked as me.

"If you don't shut that gob of yours you won't make it to guide us," Lucas growled and pushed Hunter along.

Relief struck me as we continued in silence.

Time passed in silence, the alarm had stopped ringing and we hadn't seen another man since we got to the cells, it was scary honestly, we all shared the understanding that something wasn't right.

But finally, Hunter stopped at an old raggedy staircase with a single bulb hanging from the top and a door.

"Up there leads to the abandoned warehouse. But I feel like I should warn you as an old friend. They are all up there waiting for you. God knows how many. I mean this place is empty so I'm guessing thousands." Hunter shivered. "You're all dead men walking." He looked back at us all giving us a grin, then his eyes landed on me. "Oh except you Jess, you're a dead woman."

While Hunter was still facing me Lucas snatched his arm and pinned it behind his back spinning him around and his face squished against the wall. "Good thing we have you as leverage then." Lucas smiled and Hunter's expression melted.

"Everyone prepare for combat, we don't know how this will go, so stay safe. I'll see you all on the other side."Lucas nodded.

"CRING-EY-"

Lucas smacked Hunter around the head with the gun.

We clambered up the stairs, careful not to make a peep, and as we listened for noise on the other side of the doorway all I could hear was my heart thumping like a drumroll, I swallowed scared it could give us away.

I know that's stupid but I was tense!

Lucas looked back placing his hand on the cold silver handle, "1" he mouthed, "2,3" I took a deep breath as he pushed down the handle and light came pouring in blinding us all, How long has it been since we had seen daylight?

As the light came pouring in so did the sound. The sound of guns clicking, and then silence again. Lucas led the way, stepping out the door into the light with a gun to Hunter and disappearing, he was followed by Rowin, then Jack then Liam. I wondered how they could do it knowing they could be walking to their death.

As I reached the door with Max and Alex close behind me figures started to appear, a blur of them, all squashed together like pawns on a chessboard as I stepped through the door.

"Let us go, or we kill Hunter!"Lucas shouted his arm tense around Hunter's neck now and the gun digging so deep in his head I wondered if that might kill him before the bullet.

Everything suddenly became clear, Hunter was right, the pawns of chess quickly became an army of black-suited men holding out guns, in front of them flooded familiar faces, Raymond, Rebecca, Gray, my brother and then finally Bruno, my father, his face still scribbled out in my vision like an aggressive scratching out on paper. All of them had bitter looks plastered on their faces. Until I realised that Gray's grew into a smirk.

"That's fine," Rebecca grinned. "Kill him." The words darted over as Hunter's face dropped, Now he actually looked in pain, like acid had hit his face, spreading all over his body into his lungs, as he gasped for breath.