A Month to Love (43)

‘Wake up.’

‘Nuh-uh.’

‘Bradley!’

‘No hablo ingles,’ I yawned, tightening my arms around her and refusing to open my eyes.

Judging from how little light was coming through my eyelids, it was still the middle of the night. I don’t remember us falling asleep. We’d gotten cosy on the couch but to be honest, I think we were both just tired and ended up passing out. It was annoying because I’d wanted to stay awake and just catch up but I guess we needed it.

‘I need to pee!’ Raegan complained.

I let out a loud sigh and cracked open my eyes. If I squinted, I could see her face in front of me even in the dark. It took a couple of seconds for them to adjust fully.

‘Go then. But be quick,’ I warned, untangling my arms from around her reluctantly.

‘Come with me – it's creepy in this house. And dark. So quiet too, I wouldn’t be able to sleep here alone...’

‘It’s haunted. Lots of murders took place here. They say the ghost of a shark swims around-’ I began rambling in my half asleep state.

‘Don’t make me laugh! I’m bursting!’

‘Hurry up then,’ I chuckled, forcing myself up onto my elbow and groaning. ‘I’ll never be that comfortable again. This couch is awful.’

I’d managed to just about get in a position where my back didn’t feel like it was breaking in two. It was more bearable with Raegan here, though. Distracting some could say.

‘You’re too tall for it,’ Raegan replied, finding my hand in the dark. ‘Why can’t we sleep upstairs in one of the beds anyway?’

‘No sheets,’ I explained, pulling her with me towards the door and flicking on the switch. ‘Probably dusty as hell. And full of bedbugs.’

‘Warn me next time you decide to burn my eyeballs,’ Raegan complained, wincing at the sudden light. ‘This place looks really different at night. I don’t even remember my way around.’

‘It took you ages to even get used to my house to be fair,’ I pointed out as I led her upstairs. ‘Actually... how did you even get back here if your sense of direction is that bad?’

‘I remembered that little town close by,’ she shrugged. ‘It has a weird name. If I didn’t know that, then I’d be pretty screwed,’ Raegan replied. I opened my mouth to ask just how the hell she even knew I was here in the first place but she turned around to face me. ‘Now, I hate when people listen to me pee but I also want you to wait right there so I don’t get attacked by a ghost or whatnot. So, if you’ll just-’

‘I’m not covering my ears,’ I laughed as she placed my hands over them.

‘You are. Hum too so I know you definitely can’t hear.’

‘You’re crazy. I didn’t sign up for this!’

‘We sealed our deal with a kiss and I have a no refunds policy,’ she said, tiptoeing up and pecking my lips with a smirk. ‘I’ll only be a minute.’

And so, I stood there with my hands over my ears in the dark hallway humming like a moron. Sometimes I wondered whether I brought these types of situations on myself or not. Luckily, she reappeared not long later and pulled my hands away with the same smirk still on her face.

‘I was just kidding, you know. I didn’t actually expect you to stand there humming the whole time,’ Raegan said, smile widening at the scowl that appeared on my face. ‘You’re cute.’