A Month to Love (29)

I’d promised myself not to nap today and so I ended up almost cheating by zoning out. I wasn’t even sure how long for but the sun had sunk low in the sky by the time Raegan stirred beside me. Everyone else had taken a leaf out of her book and gone for a doze too for an hour or so. Now they were tossing the beach ball around lazily down the beach to each other having regained a little energy. I had no inclination to join in, I was all a little being lazy today.

I felt a squeeze on my forearm and blinked out of whatever daydream I’d been in. Actually, I’d been thinking about food. Wondering whether dad had actually managed to cook something up or if he’d end up failing spectacularly and ordering something in.

‘What’s the time?’ Raegan asked groggily as I turned my head to face her. She squinted at me sleepily and I realised I probably should have woken her up earlier – her cheeks looked red from the sun.

‘Nearly four.’

‘What?’ she exclaimed, looking far more awake now.

‘You were asleep for a while,’ I told her, forcing myself up onto my elbow.

‘Oh,’ she replied meekly after a pause.

‘Are you not sleeping at nights?’ I asked hesitantly, not wanting to bring up whatever the hell her secret was on a nice day like today. But at the same time, I couldn’t stop myself from worrying.

‘Just not last night,’ Raegan replied, waving me off in an attempt to be reassuring.

Well, I could vouch for her the nights she stayed at my house. She certainly slept like a log then. Perhaps being alone with her thoughts was the reason she was kept awake. I had no problem with sleepovers, of course, so I’d happily offer to keep her company if it kept her distracted and well rested.

‘Why not?’ I asked.

‘I just overthink sometimes,’ she shrugged.

‘About...’ I trailed off, wanting her to clarify that the reason for her overthinking was to do with her secret and not something else that I would actually be able to help with.

‘Yeah,’ she said, understanding what I meant without me having to spell it out.

She closed her eyes again and I pulled a face as she let out a deep sigh.

‘You worry too much,’ Raegan said nonchalantly. And once more hypocritically. I was getting used to it by now.

We talked some more before she began freaking out about how little time she’d have to shower and get ready for dinner with my aunt. I should have told her not to worry – my aunt was hardly someone that she needed to impress – however, her thinking she had to make a good first impression was amusing. Raegan had an annoying tendency to be cute when she panicked.

I called over to Remi and Kyle that we had to get a move on and Remi frowned. I actually had similar feelings. I’d rather stay out here for a few more hours and hang out with the others than go back home for a most likely awkward dinner. It was still warm and even if it wasn’t, a campfire on the beach would be fun. I guess we had all summer to do stuff like that though.

When I turned back to Raegan, I instantly noticed she was now wearing one of my sweaters. One that I’d been looking for, for the past few days actually. Sneaky, little thief. Then again, I probably lent it to her in the first place.

‘Stealing my clothes?’ I asked, raising my eyebrow as if I had any issue with it. The only issue I had was that she was wearing things other than my sweater.

‘Hey, you gave it to me,’ Raegan pointed out as she untucked her now dry hair from it. Beachy waves. Now that I liked. ‘I didn’t bring any cosy hoodys with me either,’ she added. ‘I like this one.’