𝗕𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗼 𝗙𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗱𝗼

Chapter Twenty-Six

"What's the plan, bestie?" y/n asked as she jumped around in the trees, her friend slung over one shoulder and the little toad he'd summoned tucked under her arm.

She was making an effort to lure Gaara away from Sasuke and Sakura, hoping that the stubborn Uchiha would get himself together and get Sakura to safety.

In the meantime... she had to worry about not getting hit by those sand bullets. She'd already been struck in the back by one and just barely managed to change direction midair to avoid slamming into a tree.

"I've got an idea! I just need you to distract this guy for as long as you can." Naruto replied and the oni nodded once, glancing at him with a grin.

"On it!"

She came to a halt on a branch, a fair distance away from Sakura and Sasuke so that they could fight without worrying about those two back there.

Y/n set Naruto back down though she decided to still carry the lil toad that her friend managed to summon.

"Come on, Gaara, let's talk about this!" y/n said nervously, "I get that I punched you into a tree but I'll share more of my snacks with you! Honest!"

"Tch, and what makes you think I care about you or your stupid gambling addiction?!" the very scary looking Gaara demanded, "You mean nothing to me!"

Y/n gasped, taking a small step back with a look of hurt in her eyes, "Wait... you seriously don't wanna be friends? I thought we were getting along well." 'And I don't have a gambling addiction, bruv.'

Even if y/n was just acting to keep Gaara busy while Naruto did whatever he needed to do to prepare his plan, she was genuinely hurt by the other genin's words.

Those words stung a lot more than they should've.
Maybe it's because she'd heard them before.

'It should've hurt less...' she thought as a saddened expression crossed her face, "Oh... I see..."

Silence.

It was almost as if Gaara was rethinking his words as he stared at the disheartened oni. Wtf was happening, it was like he could practically feel her feelings of sadness and betrayal.

Oh, she was angry now.

"Huh. Well, I guess I should be keeping your current state in mind." y/n said with a menacing smile as she began cracking her knuckles, "You're a little unstable, very emotional, and you're getting migraines every five seconds."

Y/n was 5% sure that those weren't migraines but the other 95%(the stupid part of her) was sure that they were.

"First I'll pound some sense into you, then I'll offer my friendship!" y/n declared with a malicious glint in her eyes, setting down the toad she'd held.

Suddenly, Gaara was under the impression that he was in big trouble. The smile on y/n's face didn't quite reach her eyes and now he was absolutely sure that the messy mix of emotions he felt were coming from her.

"Shadow Clone Jutsu!"

By the time Gaara remembered that Naruto was there, it was too late. The blond was already charging at him with a ton of clones.