21| love hurts

L E V I N E

[Flashback]

He watched her like she was the only girl he had ever seen.

It was the way I wished every man would look at a woman. Like she was everything. Like the Goddess' women are, but only a handful of us can actually say, experienced that.

It was the way I wish he would look at me.

I guess I finally liked a boy.

It was stupid, so stupid. The feeling inside of me every time I saw them together, stupid. It stung. Though I had to keep my mouth shut and my heart safe at all costs.

I was never one to actually ever like a boy so easily, and if I did, it was serious. To my bad luck, it was all unrequited. He loved her, he only saw her.

I think a lot of people confuse that.

Being with a person who doesn't see you as the only one, just know you aren't the only one. I guess I had this crush on since forever. It may be crazy that Levine Arnaud, is crazy in love. Is thinking about a boy that loves her best friend.

Love hurts.

Someone decided to take the seat next to me with a sigh. "Hey little sis,"

"Hey," I mutter. "It's crazy..." he trails off. "What? That they're both happy and in love, while we're over here watching, with sorrow?"

"Took the words right out of my mouth." I decide to rest my head on his shoulder. "But I don't know.." I stay silent. Waiting for him to continue. "I have this feeling that she doesn't love him as much as he does her," I roll my eyes.

"And you know that, how?"

"I know what I know." he crosses his arms over his chest. My brother has always felt something for Amber, but he procrastinated, he was too hesitant, even if he was a cocky jerk at times. He missed the chance and so did I.

Yet at the back of head there was something I always knew my brother something I didn't. Whether it involved him and Amber, whatever it was, it wasn't good. Nothing good would ever come out of this.

***

[Flashback: 3 months later]

Voices. All I heard were voices somewhat competing with each other as they both yelled. I knew it was none of my business but I had recognized the voices.

"Don't you get that I'm tired? Don't you get that I'm sick of this? I'm tired of pretending. It's not helping me,"

My brother.

"It wasn't supposed to."

"How can you go on like this?"

"We have be-"

"I'm fucking done! Why don't you just tell David that you no longer want to be with him? Why the hell is it taking so long?"

I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"Don't yell at me," I hear a sigh escape their lips. "I love you,"

My heart stops.

"I'll figure out a way to handle David, okay? You won't have to wait long."

I couldn't stand to hear this anymore.

I couldn't.

"No, no I can't do this." Was the last thing I heard before I walked off to the front of the school. I reached my car quickly, my heart racing. A tear escaped my eye.

Why, why was I crying?

Wiping them aggressively with my thumbs, I drove off to God knows where.

***

"I'm guessing you know everything?"

"What?"

"You don't have to play dumb, I heard your footsteps and saw you run into your car." he tells me.

"How could you do this to him?"

"It wasn't my inten-"

"But you did it." I bite my lip, chuckling with no humor whatsoever.

"So is this what you meant by she doesn't love him as much? Was that it?"

"Yes." I shook my head. "David.." I trailed off, thinking of how he'd be if he found out. Me knowing wouldn't help me at all but It wasn't my place to say anything. The only girl he loved, loved his best friend. His best friend was too faulty.

"He'll never forgive us."

If only I had known sooner that Amber had been manipulating all of us.

***

"Amber if I had knew the type of person you really are, I would've never have introduced you to my brother!"

"You didn't have to Levine." she folds her arms. "Do you love him?" I ask, looking at her right in the eyes.

"Yes,"

"Lies." I shake my head in disbelief. "If you already had your own answer, why ask me?"

"Just so both my brother and David, can realize who you really are."

"You really think my boyfriend, will believe you?" She doesn't hesitate putting emphasis on 'my'. "Remember this, dear best friend, he loves me. Not you,"

***

(Present)

"Hey, you ok?"

I shrug. "Somewhat,"

"Why, what's up?" Serine asks. "You go first," I say.

"How could you-"

"I know you, Rine."

"Okay but I asked first," I raise both my brows at her, shooting her a knowing look."Okay fine," She takes a second to hold in her breathe. "I- Alexander kissed me," My eyes widen.

She puts her finger up quickly. "Shh, I'll tell you everything later. Now, what's up with you?"

"I just got a text, and turns out my brother is coming to visit,"