chapter seventeen | old secrets

╔═━━━━━▒ ۞ ▒━━━━━═╗
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
old secrets
╚═━━━━━▒ ۞ ▒━━━━━═╝

╔═━━━━━▒ ۞ ▒━━━━━═╗CHAPTER SEVENTEEN old secrets╚═━━━━━▒ ۞ ▒━━━━━═╝

━━━━━━▒ ۞ ▒━━━━━━

A RUMBLING IN the jet startled Diana awake, and she wished she stayed asleep. The second she was fully conscious and aware of her surroundings, she groaned in pain. Her foot and ankle were swollen, she couldn't see it because of her boot but she could feel it because of her boot. It seemed that the involuntary noise alerted the two pilots because soon Steve's face was all she could see.

"I'm so sorry," He began to apologize, making her eyebrows furrow in confusion as she looked down at Steve, he was kneeling before her next to her foot.

"Why-" She was cut off by her groan when Steve undid her boot and pulled it off with one swift motion, "You motherfucking shit-eating cock sucker!"

She widened her eyes and looked at Steve, guilt flooding her senses, "Oh my god, Steve I'm so sorry I don't know where that came from."

"Tell me how you really feel," Steve chuckled as he got up and walked over to the emergency kit, "You know that we don't have much for shattered bones, but I can get you an aspirin and an ice pack."

Diana nodded and watched as he went to the mini freezer that was a standard in all the quinjets, they were mainly for Diana considering she felt herself to be the clumsiest out of the team. Her destroyed foot seemed to be a part of that standard.

She watched as Steve pulled everything that could help her out, discarding the rest. He even opened the water for her.

"Your powers," Steve started, Diana knew he would bring it up eventually, "are they working?"

"Hand me the bottle cap."

He did. Diana opened up her hand, the cap in her palm and she focused. She wanted to turn the cap into a pencil. The circle of plastic remained. She strained her mind as she concentrated and huffed, squeezing it instead in frustration.

"The last time this happened, it was because Tom locked me in the Dark Room for so long without food that I was barely able to move when they finally remembered to bring me out, I couldn't make anything because even moving my arm was so painful I would see stars trying to do it," Diana frowned, "I thought it was because I was weak from the lack of food, but I guess it was actually the pain."

"So when we get you a doctor or twelve surgeons, you'll be okay again," Steve deduced. Diana looked down at the odd angle her foot sat and frowned.

"If you could call it that," Diana looked away from her foot before the tears could start to summon, "oh god, I'm not built to be on the run."

A humorless chuckle came from Steve as he sat down next to her now. Diana finally took the aspirin, even though it wouldn't do anything for her and she leaned her head against his shoulder. "I can't believe I got shot in the ass for you."