chapter eight | city of angels

warning: violence, robot death, character death and blood, lots of it
╔═━────━▒ ۞ ▒━────━═╗
CHAPTER EIGHT
city of angels
╚═━────━▒ ۞ ▒━────━═╝

warning: violence, robot death, character death and blood, lots of it ╔═━────━▒ ۞ ▒━────━═╗CHAPTER EIGHTcity of angels╚═━────━▒ ۞ ▒━────━═╝

────━▒ ۞ ▒━────

THE HAZE OF dust and smoke clouded Diana's vision and mind as she aimlessly wandered, helping people up if they fell, blasting at robots as she saw them arrive. It was like time stood still for a moment as the altitude increased more and more by the second. The crumbling of stone and mortar all around her made her heart race as she dived out of the way of a building that was already on its last leg.

"Do you see? The beauty of it, the inevitability." Ultron's booming voice flooded her ears, making her gut twist with dread as she stood on the shaky ground, "You rise, only to fall. You, Avengers, you are my meteor, my swift and terrible sword and the earth will crack with the weight of your failure. Purge me from your computers, turn my own flesh against me. It means nothing. When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."

Diana eventually made her way to where Steve was. Panic rose in her chest like the bile that desperately wanted to escape. She hated this.

When she made it to the entrance of the bridge, she watched Steve get picked up and thrown over her head, crashing straight into the windshield of an abandoned car. Diana ran for him, standing on the tire of the front passenger side. She didn't hesitate to grab his hand and try to pull him up.

"Cap, you got incoming," Tony spoke in the comm, and Diana understood Steve's sass instantly.

"Incoming already came in." Steve grunted, an explosion in a nearby building startling the both of them, "Stark, you worry about bringing the city back down safely. The rest of us have one job: tear these things apart. You get hurt, hurt 'em back. You get killed, walk it off."

Diana snorted and patted his shoulder before the both of them ran off towards a crowd of robots that terrorized a group of civilians. The two worked in tandem as the robots dropped like flies due to their effectiveness.

They eventually had to split when screaming from the bridge alerted Steve and Diana. He turned to run for the bridge, Diana jumping in the way of the robots to keep the attention on her. Blast after blast, she got good at headshots.

When Thor and Steve managed to get three people who fell off the bridge back up to the semi-safe ground. Diana was still in the thick of the fight, metal bits flying as her arms shook in pain. This was the most she's ever used her powers, and up until now, she thought she had an endless supply.