chapter thirteen | an unorthodox reunion

╔═━━━━━▒ ۞ ▒━━━━━═╗
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
an unorthodox reunion
╚═━━━━━▒ ۞ ▒━━━━━═╝

╔═━━━━━▒ ۞ ▒━━━━━═╗CHAPTER THIRTEEN an unorthodox reunion ╚═━━━━━▒ ۞ ▒━━━━━═╝

━━━━━━▒ ۞ ▒━━━━━━

IT FELT LIKE Diana was walking into the soldier's mind. Newspapers were stuck to the windows, putting the room in a slight sepia shade. The dishes in the sink were unclean and some of the floorboards creaked like they were to break. They didn't. The mattress didn't have a frame and was disheveled as it was shoved into the corner of the studio apartment. Diana assumed that the only door in the apartment led to the bathroom. The place was only a little bit bigger than a college dorm to fit the small kitchen.

Steve seemed to be poking around in the apartment, looking for any indicators on where Bucky could be, but there weren't any. Smart. Diana felt uncomfortable as she stood in front of the dirty couch. Her fingers were rubbing over a smooth stone that she had found by a pond in London that she and Sam discovered when going on a walk. It was only yesterday. Steve had found a journal on top of the fridge, Diana's curiosity getting the better of her as she made her way over.

She felt terrible going through it, she kept a journal of her own as her therapist suggested, and she would be mortified if a teammate read it. Her guilt slightly died down when she saw a photo of her fall out from between the pages, she caught it before it hit the ground and she realized that it was a photo of her from the battle in 2012, she remembered what was happening when the photo was taken, she had just landed on a bus after jumping off a bridge after Steve did. She used a long-ass pole meant for vaulting.

Diana felt herself smile slightly as she tucked it back into the journal as Steve flipped through the pages, a photo of Steve appeared as well. Bucky was trying to remember, it made Diana feel better. She felt a shift in the air but it looked like Steve was too engrossed in the journal to notice. Diana looked over her shoulder to see him.

"Heads up, Cap. German Special Forces, approaching from the south." Sam's voice was faint in her ear, they didn't exactly have the top-of-the-line equipment, just the stuff that Diana could make with the stones that were stored in the suit she packed. It was one of Tony's lightweight stealth prototypes.

"Understood."

Bucky was bulkier than the last time she saw him, even under the layers she could see his muscles. He wore a baseball cap like the one she wore earlier and a jacket over a red henley shirt, she had seen one like it before, it was a long sleeve, she just knew. He wore gloves despite the spring air being humid this time of year in Romania. It was probably to hide the metal secret under his clothes. He seemed slightly shocked that she was able to catch him, which was weird to him.

Diana gave him a smile and a wave as she faced him.

"Hi," She offered.

He only stared her down as he set a bag of fruit on the dresser next to him. Plums. Steve spun around now, shutting the journal like he wasn't just invading his old friend's mind. Diana had no business to judge since she had just done it.