chapter sixteen | family feud

╔═━━━━━▒ ۞ ▒━━━━━═╗
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
family feud
╚═━━━━━▒ ۞ ▒━━━━━═╝

╔═━━━━━▒ ۞ ▒━━━━━═╗CHAPTER SIXTEEN family feud╚═━━━━━▒ ۞ ▒━━━━━═╝

━━━━━━▒ ۞ ▒━━━━━━

IF IT WASN'T for the stabilizing gauntlets in her suit, Diana could have sworn that she would've fried her burner phone. Her shaky hands struggled to navigate the buttons on the flip phone but she eventually made it to the one contact saved in it. This conversation was going to be hard.

The phone barely rang once before it was picked up.

"Oh my god, I thought he killed you at this point!" Tonya almost yelled into the phone, "are you okay? What's going on, they're saying on TV that Diana 'Firefly' Renfrey is a fugitive! I watched the footage of you running from the police, did you really jump on the back of that motorcycle?"

"I'm not dead," Diana couldn't help but chuckle even though she just received that piece of terrible news, "and no, Bucky didn't kill me, I'm actually trying to help clear his name, he didn't bomb the UN, it was some psychopath trying to get to him, I don't know how this is going to turn out after but I just wanted to talk to you one last time, are my Charlie's there?"

"Yeah, Charles was showing Junior something his mom left for him," Tonya had effectively calmed her tone, but hearing the somber voice killed Diana. She called for the two from what Diana could hear and after some rustling, her favorite voice was in her head.

"Auntie Diana?" Charlie asked, "is that you?"

"Yes! Hi Charlie!" Diana smiled, leaning against the car as she adjusted a strap on her boot.

"What's going on? I saw the news," Charlie spoke up, his voice was now slightly deeper, it's scary what a year does apparently.

"I just wanted to hear your voice," Diana had to blink away tears with her words, "as you get older you're going to hear things about me, some of it will be true, some of it won't be, but I just want you to know that I did it all to keep you safe along with the rest of the world, now, if there is ever an emergency I don't want you to hesitate on calling me from the phone you're holding, do you understand?"

"Yes, I understand," Charlie replied, she could tell that he seemed to be crying, it's what had her shedding tears now as well.

"Okay good, I love you, now put your father on the phone," Diana choked out, she couldn't bear this.

"Diana, why's he crying? Wait, why is Tonya crying too?" It was the first thing Diana heard.