If he is gone, this boy that I miss like he is the very fabric of myself, I am too.

My eyes gently opened once more when I felt the small vibration of my phone. Momentarily, I let myself fall back into this reality that feels dismal. The street lamp flickers and after taking a final drag of the cigarette I was still holding, I crushed it under my converse.

My movements slow now that it feels like my limbs feel deadweight, I slip out my phone from my pocket.

Artistè: don't miss me too much, do you?

My lips rose at the corners at the message as the screen lit up my face but simultaneously, another pang of hurt. I did miss Malik, terribly. He settled in London, called me every morning seeing as though we have a five hour time difference. Morning for me is midday for him.

I'd let him ramble on as I set the phone on my bedside table and buried my face in the covers, too tired to talk but listening to every word.

He loved London. Like I'd expected.

Me: i knew living in the city would make ur big head bigger.

Artistè: get with it, sweetie.

I smile as I type.

Me: you so miss me, huh?

Artistè: saw a pack of marlboros today and almost cried. this is nearing embarrassment.

Me: cute. ur merely a thought in my head, mr painter.

Artistè: ur so losing ur mind without me.

The answering reply blurts out of me.

Me: i think i'm gonna rip everybody's head off.

Artiste: i know

Me: i threw a paintbrush at the wall today because it reminded me of u. you were the only calm i had.

Artiste: known that forever, as well.

Me: fuck you.

Artiste: ily more :)
anyways, i actually texted you for something before you led me astray. was looking through my camera roll and found this. i think you'd like to see it, have it for yourself.

I furrowed my eyebrows at the video he'd sent before lifting my knees to tuck them into my chest. I pressed play and the screen lit up my face in the dark, the noise from my phone drowning out the quiet of the night around me.

I watched as the camera turned around to Malik holding it up with Everest and Hudson besides him. They all seemed to be hiding in some corner they were definitely up to something. The sound of clanging weights and thuds against a punching bag told me they were in the gym.

Malik spoke first, "Lu and Ria-"

"No, dude! Do the proper intro!" Everest took the phone and clearly became distracted by his own reflection when he grinned widely down at the phone, running a hand through his hair.