43. beautiful boy

"What do I wear to this thing?" I huffed, running a flustered hand through my hair. I spun around to Luca staring at me with a smile, Ev laying against my headboard, tickling a Benji that sat on his stomach.

The two of them became acquainted so quick it gave me whiplash. Benji was so immediately fond of Everest but I wasn't too surprised. Everest had always been good with kids with his goofy character. He has a tenderness to him that none of the rest of us have.

"A tunic." Ev responded flatly.

I threw a clothes hanger at his head.

"Ow! That could've hit Benj." He raised his eyebrows.

"But it didn't-"

"But it could've-"

"Okay." Luca stood up, coming between the two of us, "Here." He pulled out the first thing that his hand landed on and it was a black sundress I hadn't worn in years.

"It's too cold for that."

He pulled out another random piece. A ragged oversized tee that he put back as soon as he saw it. I could've glared at him, but he was right. My clothes were either slutty or way too casual. No in between. I either liked my tits out or wanted to drown in comfy tees.

Another pull and it was a large, black knitted sweater. It was real baggy on my arms and came down to my mid thigh which is why I loved it. I reached in and pulled out a small skirt and tights to go with it.

Most of the skirt would be covered anyway by the sweater. I took the item from his hands and leaned up to kiss him once, "Thanks, darling."

I turned and walked to my bathroom to change. Just as the door shut behind me, I heard Ev snicker from the other side, "Dude, are you blushing?"

Then I heard what sounded awfully like a clang of a metal hanger and Ev's following curses, Benji's laughs.

***

Standing there, in front of the Lake Café door, I started to realise how ridiculous this was. I'm a seventeen year old that hasn't even informed an adult about the situation but is now meeting with a social worker to discuss the situation of the kid I stole.

What the fuck am I doing? Oh God. Oh fucking fuck-

"It'll be fine." Lu tipped my chin up, "Me and Ev will be in the back corner, if you need anything. Just talking, it's a conversation, you'll be great."

I took a composing breath and nodded. Benji's hand was in mine, the t-shirt and jeans that I made Ev run out to go and buy this morning looking absolutely adorable on him.

He smiled a reassuring sort of smile, "You got this, Ria."

"Probably not, ya know but good luck!" Everest so sweetly chimed in, chewing gum. Even Benj glared at him then.

Everest and Luca hung back as I pushed open the door. Scanning the booth, I saw the familiar blonde head of hair and exhaled in relief. At the very least, she came to hear me out.

With nerves rattling through my insides, I walked us to the booths. I let Benj slide inside first and then sat right besides him. He took my hand again immediately.

"Hi." I cleared my throat, "It's nice to meet you properly. I just- yesterday wasn't the greatest first impression. And I wanted to apologise for that." I started off by saying, the nerves so clearly prevalent in my voice.