GOLDEN BOY

Dear Golden Boy, you truly have it all, don't you? You have popularity, prettiness, smarts, money, and talents. You truly do have it all. It's surprising what Mommy's and Daddy's money can get you. Oh but you wouldn't know about that, would you? Maybe you just come from a talented and smart family? Who knows what secret your family holds behind those perfect smiles of theirs. Golden Boy.......Golden Boy what am I going to do with you? The answer is nothing. The same thing I've been doing for the past 19 years of my life. Nothing. I am completely different from you Golden Boy but it's not like you noticed. I'm the one who was to work hard for what she has if she wants to keep it. I'm the one who had to grow up quickly because the people I once knew were parents who became too addicted to the stimulants of the world.

I'm the one who comes from harsh labor and pain even though it was been over for centuries I still suffer from it. I'm the quiet wallflower that seats alone at lunch, in class, during pep rallies, and almost everything you can think of. I'm the black girl who no one seems to notice or care for me. My thoughts changed the day my name and your name got called to be paired up for a project. That was the first day you talked to me but I didn't bother to say a word. I never did no matter how much time we spent together working on that project. You were always the one to talk no matter if I responded to you or not. I could always tell that one day you were going to snap at the fact that I never responded but that day never did come. But something I never thought would happen happened.

You spoke to me like you always had and before I could stop myself the words came out. 'G-good M-morning.' I spoke for the very first time. I could tell that it had brought a smile to your face to hear me say something rather than just sitting and shrugging. You wanted to hear more words spill from me but I never could open my mouth and say much more. Day by day you took interest in hearing me say the same words over and over 'Good Morning' which I felt uncomfortable with but didn't let show. Unfortunately, all 'good' things come to an end but maybe not always. Even after the project was finished and done with you tried your best to keep up with me and get me to talk but I wouldn't give you the time of day.

You never gave up. You always walked with me to classes, met me in front of the school, and even started sitting with me at lunch. I always questioned your motives and why you were doing what you were doing. Why couldn't you be like most of the people at school and ignore me or pretend like I don't exist? 'Why me?' I asked looking up from the textbook in front of me to peer at you. You gave a surprised look before a look of confusion made its way upon your face. No no you shouldn't be confused. You should be answering the question. 'Why are you always a-around me?' I ask as you blinked softly as a soft smile made its way upon your lips. From that day forward and even to this very moment I never understood your answer. 'Just because.'

From that day forward he treated me like I was a part of his crew but I knew I wasn't. I knew I was nothing like him no matter how much he tried to convince me otherwise. He showed me everything that I was missing out on like parties, football games, and everything else a teenager would attend. But I always felt uncomfortable with everything, not just the people, setting, but everything. Though you were always right there to make me feel like I belonged. Why? Why were you always there? Always close to me no matter where we are. Why did you feel the need to stay by my side? Why did you feel like you need to protect me? Who were you protecting me from? It couldn't have been you. Because the way you kissed me that same night and held my body close to yours was something I had never felt before.

The way you whispered loving things into my ear as you spun me around in your arms. Everyone whispered and talked as they watched you dance with me. Were their eyes on me or you? Would they be on me? No one knew me so would they be looking at me? Maybe it's because I was with the Golden Boy of our school? Maybe it was because of the fact I was a nobody who was with him the person everyone wanted to be or wanted to date. His lips traced over the smooth skin of my neck as his hand caressed my waist. I could feel him breathing against my ear. 'Everyone's eyes are on you.' He whispered kissing your ear softly. My eyes wavered from your even as others peered at me from where I should even as you pulled me along with you.

We found ourselves alone in one of the many rooms. Hands gripping each other never wanting to let go. Lips locked as clothes started to litter the ground. That was the night I lost something I never thought I would lose. Probably something no one ever thought I would lose. If only I knew that losing something so precious would result in something unexpected yet beautiful.

-Y/N