[32] Good for him

"sometimes you think you want to disappear, but all you really want is to be found"

⋆✧⋆✧⋆

I softly slip out from Sterling's grasp and stand up from the warm bed. Pulling on one of his hoodies and a pair of fluffy socks, I descend  the stairs in desperate need of breakfast.

I pour water into the kettle and let it heat up as a search for a mug and a teabag.

"Left side." Mason's voice startles me.

I open the left door of the cabinet and, sure enough, find the mugs.

"You want tea too?" I turn back at him to ask.

"Sure, that would be great."

Nodding my head, I reach for another and put a teabag in each mug.

"How is he?" Mason's words come out somewhat strained which kind of surprises me.

"He's alright, why? Should I be worried, was the fight worse than he lead on?"

"No, don't worry, Delaney. He's fine, physically, at least. It's just– usually he's still pretty aggravated after a fight, especially when the cause of it is someone he cares about."

His insinuating tone almost makes me blush.

The kettle dings and I pour the hot water for the two of us. "You've known Sterling for a long time, right? You and Daisy?"

"We have, yeah. He's been my best friend for as long as I can remember."

I take a big sip of my tea. "That's nice."

He smiles nostalgically.

"You talk about it like he gets into fights often, does he?"

Mason hesitates, "This conversation might be something you want to follow up on with Blake, but yeah. He did, at least." He clears his throat. "He's told you about his mom, correct?"

I nod my head.

"He took her death pretty hard. He was pretty angry at the world for a few years after that."

My eyes dart to the mug in front of me and I keep them there, not really able to make eye contact with him while he's talking about this. God, I can't imagine what that did to Sterling.

"Luckily, he had hockey. I think that really helped him gain control over his anger and channel it into something. But when it got too much, he resorted to knocking people out." He takes a breath, needing to figure out what to say. "Usually, after these fights, he would be pretty hard to reach. In his own head, I think the guilt weighed him down. He wouldn't really talk to anyone, not even me or Daisy, only Charlotte."

"I see." Is all I can come up with.

"Which is why I was wondering how he's been doing, he hasn't been in a fight for a little while."