[10] Rules are rules

"There's beauty in simplicity"

⋆✧⋆✧⋆

"Can you focus for one minute?" Laney's desperation almost makes me feel bad.

I look down at the pile of notes and books and my brain threatens to explode, "I'm just so bored."

"It's no wonder you're failing psych, you can't stay on topic for more than 3 minutes," she shuts her book and looks up at me.

Suddenly her eyes light up and I can tell she just got an idea.

"Oh god, what?"

"I have an idea."

"I know, I can see it in your eyes."

I love that my words bring out the slightest bit of blush in her cheeks.

She looks down at the weirdly large amount of pencils she carries around in her backpack, "Every 10 minus you stay on task, I'll give you a pencil!"

I'm dumbfounded. Why does she think that's going to motivate me? "I wish I could say you come up with good ideas, but I would be lying."

"Shut up, I'm not finished telling you my idea," she looks like she's on her last straw so I let her continue, "if you get all 6 pencils by the end of the hour, we can stop and go for ice cream or something."

"Ok fine, I think I can work with that"

She smiles to herself, clearly feeling very proud and accomplished

But then I realize I can't do that.

"Actually, I just remembered I need to pick up Charlotte in an hour."

"Oh, that's okay." I hate that seeing her disappointed face does something to me. But it does, so I keep speaking, "But you could come along and we could go out to get ice cream with her."

She immediately lights up at my idea and agrees.

⋆✧⋆✧⋆

I look down at my 5 pencils and can't help but stop focusing. I stare off into space, no longer listening to Laney going on about the lesson.

Her loud sigh snaps me out of my daze.

She takes the sixth pencil, "Looks like none of us are getting ice cream." and instead of placing into my pile, she holds onto it.

Clearly taunting me with it.

"That's not fair,"

"It most definitely is fair, Rules are rules." She shrugs her shoulders, "Rules you agreed to by the way, and you didn't follow through when you stopped listening to me."

"Well I'm changing those rules" I exclaim, leaning over to her.

I hold both her hands in one of mine and raise them above her head.