[17] You scared me

"no rain, no flowers

"no rain, no flowers."

⋆✧⋆✧⋆

I watch as a piece of her dark brown hair falls in front of her eyes and I fight the urge to tuck it behind her ears.

That would be weird right?

Definitely.

But still... tempting.

I observe the focused look on her face; her chestnut eyes shinning with concentration and her lip tucked under her tooth as she bites it, a habit of hers I've become familiar with.

"What are you doing, creep?"

Laney's words snap me out of my daze and I awkwardly clear my throat, "Just looking at something more interesting than my textbook."

"Well, thank you for that possible compliment, but you really need to get back to work."

I hum in response and place my gaze back on the boring words printed out onto crumpled paper, not where they truly want to be.

These tutoring sessions have definitely been helping, there's no doubt about that, however, I don't think I'm improving as much as Laney or my coach hope.

But honestly, that's not my fault, I mean how do I focus on the notes in front of me when my tutor is quite possibly the prettiest person I have ever laid my eyes on?

"Sterling,"

"Yes, Laney,"

"You're still staring." She gives me a stern look.

"I know, sweetheart."

A blush rises on her cheeks and I can't help but smile over the effect I have on her.

She rolls her eyes and stops writing, "I'm beginning to think you're helpless."

"Now that's not something a tutor says," I quip.

"It is now."

I turn her chair out from under the table to face me and I rest my hands on either side of her.

"Let's go somewhere," I offer, "please."

She sighs making it clear she's given up on me for the day, "Fine. Where?"

"Somewhere with food."

The two of us decide on a café just off campus and we get into my car.

⋆✧⋆✧⋆

We walk inside and Laney heads straight to the counter.

She scans all the dessert trapped under glass deciding what she wants.

The cashier notices the two of us and makes her way over, ready for our order.

"How can I help you today?" A girl possibly my age questions.