[30] Forgot your pyjamas

"we met for a reason"

⋆✧⋆✧⋆

I watch as her chest rises and falls with every sleeping breath, the way her eyelashes flutter as she stirs, and how her hair messily lays across my arm.

When Laney came to my door last night, I had no idea what was going on, and to tell you the truth I still don't fully. She was basically hysterical and I got very little information about what had made her so upset. Something about Jemma and Chase and them being together now?

I saw that coming.

But when she said she needed me, I didn't really care about what had happened, I just knew I would be there for her, to provide anything she needed.

She cried into me for a few minutes, muttering incoherent things between sobs. Eventually, I got her to calm down and she tried telling me about what had happened. But this time it was different than just sadness, there was hurt and anger in her tone.

"Laney, I need you to tell me what's going on," I plead as I lose my mind over thinking about what could have possibly happened to her. "Please, baby, you have me really worried."

My head clouds at the thought of someone having hurt her or someone she loves.

She nods her head into me, wiping the tears from her face and unsticking stands of her hair from her cheeks. "Right, sorry. I'm a mess right now and I just showed up with no warning." She clears her throat and blows air out her mouth, "I um– I caught Jemma and Chase, together. They were together, and they didn't tell me. Why wouldn't they have told me? Keeping it from me and making me find out about them like that? Walking in on them. God, that's just- ugh!"

My brain words double speed to gather the information from her yelling rant and I subconsciously stoke up and down her back to try and calm her down.

"I'm sorry, Laney. I know what they did was unfair, but I think,  just for tonight, you should stop thinking about it. Sleep on it, let your mind process what happened because I know you and I know you love them, I don't want you doing or saying something you can't take back." I almost wince at my words, fearing I've overstepped or said something she didn't want to hear, but when she nods her head and gives me a small smile, I know it's going to be okay.

"How do you always know what to do, what to say? Thank you, darling."

I spent the rest of the night trying to distract her, so we watched a movie with Luke and went straight to bed. I offered to let her take my bed and I could sleep on the couch if she needed some space, but she quickly disapproved of that.

Knowing she wanted to be with me, that she felt comfortable within my arms, that felt good. Better than good actually, much better.

She changed into a pair of my sweatpants and old t-shirts because she had forgotten her pyjamas and I was definitely not complaining. Luckily, her toothbrush from the last time she stayed the night was still in my bathroom and she was able to make do with everything else I had.