Chapter 54

Dear readers, I hope you enjoy the extra update. Please feel free to leave your comments and follow my ig: jkromanceauthor

Matthew nearly choked on his tea. Abruptly he set his cup down.
"Maggie, it's not possible."

"Why?"

"I don't think that they will allow me to bring a partner."

"They do. It's written on the bottom of the envelope. It's an invitation for two."

Damn. What is he supposed to say now?

Before Matthew could think of a sensible reason to refuse her request, she pleaded,
"Matthew, I've always wanted to attend a ballroom party. You know the ballroom scene is my favorite part of the Cinderwench tale. I've always imagined what it looks like in reality."

"I don't think you'll like the crowd, Maggie.They are, you know what your father always said about the nobility, they are pompous and arrogant."

"I'll be fine with you by my side. I just want to know what it's like to attend a ball."

Matthew tried to offer a few weak arguments to no avail because she insisted on going with him. Later that evening, he paced back and forth the short space in front of Marguerite's suite, racking his brain for a tack. He would need to explain to Bella about his companion. He would also have to explain to Maggie about Bella.

Jesus. This is getting complicated. If only he had opened up to Maggie about Bella from the beginning. Blast Wagner for his damn idea. He should never have listened to him. Now he'd messed everything up by lying and keeping secrets from two women who equally matter to him.

"I'm ready."

Marguerite's voice disrupted his thoughts. Matthew spun around and stilled, momentarily speechless when Marguerite appeared in a  drab, unflattering evening gown. The dress must have belonged to her late mother, for Maggie had never bothered to buy dresses or other female stuff. It just occurred to him at the very moment that she didn't have appropriate attire for the occasion. He needed to tell her to order new dresses, a lot of them. It never bothered him before, because he was too accustomed to seeing her in those dresses, but at the moment, reality dawned on him.

Maggie is in dire need of a brand new wardrobe.

He'd just thought to ask her out tomorrow to find some seamstress and buy some new accessories for her, but then he realized; he wouldn't want Maggie to go to parties with him. He went to see another woman. It was best for him if Maggie didn't feel comfortable at the party, so she wouldn't ask him to bring her to another one. He slightly felt bad for thinking of making Maggie feel uncomfortable, but there was no other way to keep her away.

Throughout the ride, Matthew furtively watched Maggie with a mixture of guilt and unease. She looked dowdy in her old dress. He could only hope she wouldn't be aware of it once she stepped into the ballroom. If she felt out of place and insisted they left the party immediately, he would be in great trouble. He needed to be there for Bella. He couldn't leave her alone.

Before long, they arrived at the party. When they entered the ballroom, Marguerite placed her hand on the crook of his arm, and Matthew resisted the urge to disengage himself. They mustn't be seen by Arabella. First he must find her, and explain to her about his female companion before she spotted them and misunderstood this. It's easier to tell Bella about Maggie than the other way around, because he wouldn't have to face her disappointment. Come to the conclusion, he stopped at the fringe of the crowd and told Maggie,
"Maggie, you stay here. I'll be right back."

"But where are you going?"

"I'm going to greet our hosts, making sure he knows I'm here. Just stay where you are, alright?"