Chapter 32

Matthew froze as the words struck him like a bolt from the blue. It took more than several seconds for him to find his voice.
"Sir, please don't get me wrong, but there's nothing between me and Maggie."

"Stuff and nonsense. Maggie loves you. She has loved you since the moment she met you. Don't say you haven't known it."

Goddard's last sentence rendered him mute. He'd be lying if he said the idea never occurred to him, but he never really thought about it. In fact, he wouldn't dream of such a thing. Goddard had been so kind to allow Marguerite to befriend him, but he wouldn't dare to raise his eyes too high.

"I... I don't deserve her."

"Quite the opposite. I can't think of a better candidate. You are honest and loyal, and I know you love her too. Otherwise, why'd you never take a lover, with the pretty ladies just around the corner?"

Again he couldn't seem to find an appropriate answer. He'd never expected that his employer would have taken note of his celibacy. With the finest houses of pleasure in proximity, he'd never had to look so far for female companionship, but the idea held no appeal for him. Not even a bit.

Goddard took his time to contemplate his silence, and said with a tone of finality that brooked no refusal.
"Promise me you'll marry her."

For the first time in his life, Matthew was in a real quandary. He would walk into the fire if Goddard asked him to, but he couldn't make promises he was unlikely to fulfill.

"I promise I will take care of her. I will protect her with my life."

Matthew felt that he'd failed the man whom he owed everything to. Eyes lowered to the floor, he'd expected Goddard to be angry, he'd braced himself for the worst, but Goddard surprised him by saying,

"If there's one thing I have learned from life, it's that you never know what you've already got until you lose it. I hope that never happens to you, lad."

*****

It turned out to be their last conversation, because the following morning, Goddard drew his last breath. A servant had recognized the signs that Goddard was nearing his death, so Matthew, Marguerite, and a few loyal staff came to gather around his bedside to stay with him. Marguerite sat holding his hand in hers, tears coursing down her cheeks. As he neared the end of life, Goddard used what breaths he had left to say,
"I will tell your mother you have grown up into a beautiful young woman." 
He turned his gaze to Matthew, who stood behind Marguerite.

"And don't be afraid, because Matthew will always stay by your side. Won't you, lad?"

Stifling a sudden wave of emotion, Matthew swallowed past the lump in his throat.
"I will, Sir."

Upon hearing his firm answer, Goddard's face eased into an expression of relief. His breathing turned quiet and his eyes slowly closed. Aside from grief, Matthew found little comfort in seeing how gently and smooth the process had taken place. He'd never seen Goddard's face so peaceful and calm.

"Papa?" Marguerite called, but Goddard could no longer hear her.

"He's gone, Maggie."
Coming up behind her, Matthew placed his hand on her shoulders, offering support and warmth. Contrary to his expectation, Marguerite refrained from getting overly emotional in the profound moment. With a quiet sob, she placed a kiss on each of Goddard's pale cheeks for the last time.

When she stood up and turned to him, Matthew took her in his arms, holding her in a firm clasp as she cried in quiet sobs against his chest. But as he whispered words of comfort to console her, he drew down upon himself alone the burden of the matter he had yet to solve. With Goddard gone, now he had the gaming hell and an incredible fortune in his hands, but he felt as if he was left shackled in debt instead.