Chapter 42

Dear readers, sorry for the late update. Been very busy recently. Happy New Year and wish you a year filled with success, sweet surprises and lots of great reads!

Marguerite had learned early in life that things didn't always turn out the way she wanted them to, but none of her past disappointments could come close to this. During the first thirty minutes, she was still too euphoric to worry about Matthew's delayed arrival. When more than an hour had passed, she started to grow disheartened, still she believed he would eventually come. He must be unavoidably detained at the party, and she could understand that. So she kept telling herself that all her patience would pay off when she watched him getting down on one knee to propose to her. She remained on her seat and refused when the servant offered to serve her some light refreshments, waiting patiently until her hope faded away with every ticking minute.

When the clock down the hall struck twelve and still no signs of him coming, Marguerite decided she wouldn't wait any longer. With all the dignity she could muster, she rang for the servants and ordered them to put away the untouched food before leaving the table. Painfully aware of the servant's pitying stare, she squared her shoulders, drawing a ragged breath as she tried to suppress the sore disappointment. She'd wager the entire staff had known about this special occasion, and soon they would hear about the humiliating outcome.

In the corridor, she encountered Wagner, who seemed as if it was his fault things didn't go as expected.
"I'm so sorry, Maggie..."

Marguerite managed to force a smile.
"It's not your fault, Bill."

Wagner shook his head, remorse made his voice harsh,
"I shouldn't have let him go to Mannheim's party. I should have known this would happen."

"Bill, Matthew is a grown man. You don't need to take responsibility for his action or blame someone else for his poor choice."

"You don't understand, Maggie. Matthew is still young and foolish. He's been led astray by Mannheim. Trust me that wastrel is such a bad influence!"
Wagner uttered the words with enough gravity to convince Marguerite.

"Do you really think so?" Her brows knitted with concern.

"Of course!"

"Then what can we do about this?"

"I don't know yet but I know what I'm going to do right now."

"And what is that?"

"I'll go and find him."
Wagner spun on his heels and dashed off, his marching tread echoed in the corridor.

"Wait, Bill. Are you going to Lord Mannheim's house?" Marguerite hurried over, trying to catch up with his long pace.

"Yes."

"Can I come with you?"

"No, you wait here!"
Wagner took a sudden halt and turned towards Marguerite, who started back in surprise. The look on his face had her frozen in the spot as he said,
"A woman is not supposed to see whatever that is going on there."

Marguerite couldn't help flinching at the sordid images that sprang to mind. She'd read about it somewhere; drunken men, naked dancers on the table, and unrestrained sexual activity in public. Bile rose hot in her throat, along with pain as she pictured Matthew carousing in such a filthy bacchanal. God help her, some villainous rakehell was trying to debauch the man she loved from chastity, and she must do everything she could to steer Matthew away from that depraved cad.

*****

"I'm afraid the party was over a couple hours ago, Sir."
The footman behind the tall iron gates made little effort to disguise his disapproval for the inconsiderate guest who appeared in front of Mannheim House at the unreasonably late hour.